My first woodcarving and kolrosing!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kjartan

Nov 28, 2009
Northeast US
These are some pictures of a decorative blade that I carved, it is my first ascetic woodcarving, as well as the first time I have done kolrosing. I finished it up about two days ago!

I used a pocket knife to do all of the carving and etching, it's all freehand. The wood is from a coppiced stave that I was making a bow with, but that didn´t go as planned :rolleyes:. I used cinnamon powder and olive oil for the kolrosing and sealing the wood.

I carved some runes into the blade to give it a proper name, in Old Norse it reads Úlfrkló, meaning Wolfclaw.

DSCN2117.jpg

DSCN2118.jpg

DSCN2123.jpg

My favorite thing about Úlfrkló is it's imperfection, the flaws (to me) highlight it's simplicity and authenticity. By picking it up and feeling it's whimsical shape, it nearly takes on the guise of an ancient heirloom, passed down through the ages.

Tell me what you think, all constructive criticism is welcome :]

Thank you, and many thank's to Wayland for inspiring me with your beautiful craft and Norse style.

Lake

Jun 7, 2009
Nice work mate :) I'm looking forward to your next projects.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Nice work.

Did you carve the runes (ie. two cuts at angles) or just cut them?

Kolrosing seems to work best for me on a single cut with a thin blade like a scalpel, rather than a V cut groove.

I know that seems counter intuitive but that has certainly given me the best results.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE