My first try to make a kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
At the end of december I cutted down a birch burl and tried to craft a kuksa. While working I have driven my carving knife deep in my finger :bluThinki It had to be sewn by the doctor with three stitches. So I hadnt the chance to get ready with the cup and I cooked the rough shaped kuksa for about 3 hours in salt water and stored it in a bag for drying. After 2 weeks I made the walls thinner and a little crack appeared, but that was no problem. Now 4 weeks are gone and I shaped the kuksa a little more with grinding paper. I let it dry for 2 another weeks before I finish the surface.

Kuksa schnitzen von wildhog9910 auf Flickr

P1290189 von wildhog9910 auf Flickr

P1290188 von wildhog9910 auf Flickr

P1290187 von wildhog9910 auf Flickr

P1290186 von wildhog9910 auf Flickr

ATTENTION! When you carve on a salt water cooked wooden cup.... Clean your carving tools :p

Are you going to finish it with an oil etc?

I dont know, first I want to grind the surface up to 600. A mate in an other forum gave me just the advice to use grund coffee for polishing, maybe Im gonna try this. I dont want to use oil, because of the taste.

@ron: but salad also finished a nice kuksa, he started the thread at bcp, i just hijacked it hehe

@all: thanks for your kind comments :)

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Lovely work there, beautiful grain in that burl, can't wait to see the colour pop out when you coat it in oil or something else!

RM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE