My first Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
First off sorry but I'm struggling to insert images into my thread here so I've attached a link to start off. Hopefully I can edit this once I've figured it out.

When I first got married I gave up a lot of my outside activities, mainly coz of money, and sold all my gear.

Some years on, and equally as poor, I've started to get out there largely through a desire to show my kids what they are missing when watching the tele.

With this in mind, I decided to set myself a challenge of getting set up to, well actually nothing like, Ray Mears standards for as little cost as possible.

Once done I would attempt to A. make a spoon
B. Build a shelter and stay in it
C. make fire with a bow drill.

Well I can cross off my first challenge as I've finished my first spoon. I think I'd used Birch, which I've coated in three lairs of veg oil and three coats of Olive oil. I used a Mora knife, fine and medium sandpaper. Hope you like it.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Cheers

Paul

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
The Bow drill hasn't really taken off, but i think the wood I picked up is rubbish, I'm hoping to get out sometime in the next couple of weeks to see if I can find some better timber. I had been intending to go to the Kent meet next week, but I'm not sure I'll get the chance.

Paul

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Three plasters and wifey still ain't taken your mora away? Must have been a flowers and chocie bribe then lmao. Well done again anyway.
Dave.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I've finally got the photo's working but the file size means the photo's are a little small, but I've had it now that's your lot.

I took ot to work today, expecting to be ribbed for my efforts but someone has actually asked me to make some salad serving utensils for them, very chuffed.

Thanks to Tony for his help with the photo's.

Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE