My First Proper Knife: Woodlore Clone in S30V

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
The smith finally finished my order that I made 3 months ago.

I was so excited when he finally delivered it to me today! :D

So here it is, my woodlore clone in S30V steel with desert ironwood scales.

http://imgur.com/a/E7Wlh#0Q5ot

I haven't seen many people experiment with steels on their knives, most of what I've seen here are made from O1 steel.
I did some research and decided to go with S30V, because I wanted a stainless steel.
I was also greatly influenced by uncle Ray and his books, that's why my first knife is a woodlore clone. I decided it was the most basic of all the knives I looked at and could be used as a building block. I had a look at Bushtools, Deval bushcrafters, Fällkniven and EnZo trappers, but none of them looked basic enough. Not too experienced with knife use and probably going with a tried and tested route is good.

Since I received the knife today I haven't had the chance of testing it properly yet, but it performs very well based on some whittling.

My biggest thanks to the smith, he's a second generation Estonian smith called Viljo Marrandi and I recommend him highly. He hasn't got too many years under his belt and hasn't made every type of knife out there, but he is very co-operative and managed to make a very good job of the knife. (www.viljomarrandi.com - he does handmade engraving too, very beautiful!)

It cost me 135€ for the knife + sheath.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
That looks a fine knife, and I like the sheath too! Please give it plenty of work to do and let us know how you get on with it after you've used it for a while. I'm sure lots of us here will want to know how the steel performs. Edge retention, sharpening and corrosion are particularly interesting.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
That looks a fine knife, and I like the sheath too! Please give it plenty of work to do and let us know how you get on with it after you've used it for a while. I'm sure lots of us here will want to know how the steel performs. Edge retention, sharpening and corrosion are particularly interesting.

Will do. I was curious about the same thing myself and since this is my first knife I don't know any better, so might as well try. :)
What you haven't used (O1 or carbon steel overall in my case) you can't miss!

Thanks everyone!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE