My first knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
Hi everyone :)

Thought i'd start a little thread to show you the progress that i have made on the DWC blade i got from FGYT. The scales are Laburnum from Jean at knifescales.co.uk

Many thanks to both FGYT and Jean, both brilliant people to order from.

Please dont laugh, this is my first knife handling and its made to be a user, so i am not too bothered thats its a bit rough round the edges.

So far the mosaic pins have been put in, the liners and scaled epoxied in place and roughed to shape, next i need to profile it.

Started as this

DSCF7439.jpg

and now

DSCF7484.jpg

DSCF7493.jpg

Going to spend some time deciding how i want the profile to look and sand it all down tomorrow.

Tom

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
That is looking good Tom.
Handsome wood that laburnum and I keep hearing good things about FGYT blades.
Will be interested to see what you do with the handle as we are doing one atm for my
son.I'll post some pics as we get nearer the finish.
Cheers , Simon

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
Thanks Jason, I will :)

Hi Simon, hope your project is going well. Love to see some pics of it. As i said this is my first knife, but i am very happy with it, i'd advise anyone to get a blank from FGYT.

I just realised these pics dont really show the mosaic pins very well, they are circular tube, with a square tube inside then a piece of round bar inside that.

Tom

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
I did notice the halo around the blade, i thought it looked quite good, must have been the flash

It might just be the pic but have you attempted to change the grinds?

No, i dont have the tools to be able to do anything like that, the grinds are a tiny bit off, one is about 1mm longer than the other.

Thanks for looking in, i haven't got anything done to it yet today still trying to decide on the final shape i want.

Tom

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Can't see it making much if any difference to its performance Tom, after afew sharpening sessions you probably won't even be aware of it.

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
Been doing a little more work on my knife.

Almost got the final shape, still a little more work to go before i start the long job of sanding.

DSCF7515.jpg

heres a bit of a close up on the mosaic pins, i'll get some better shots when its finished.

DSCF7519.jpg

not long to go now!!

Tom

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
thats lovely,......

i have 3 or 4 knives i did in laburnum, it gets better with use,.. the first is only 6 months done and its got such a deep gloss,....

well done mate,.....

Stu

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
Cheers Stu :)

It feels quite an achievement to have finished it, as its been a project in my head for at least the last 6 months!

Next step for me after making a couple more of these for friends and family, is to forge the blank myself hopefully it'll look as good as yours!

Tom

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
take the satisfaction you feel now and times it by at least 5 Tom,....

making the blade feels like a big step from handling a bought blade but its really not,..

and its worth it eitherway for the sense of acheivement,...

its funny seeing this cos i,ve just tonight finished fitting a sheath for the first knife i made, so i treat it to an oil aswell,...and its in laburnum!!!

thanks for sharing your project,....

Stu

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers Stu :)

It feels quite an achievement to have finished it, as its been a project in my head for at least the last 6 months!

Next step for me after making a couple more of these for friends and family, is to forge the blank myself hopefully it'll look as good as yours!

Tom

If there is a comrie croft meet up this year before or indeed after my exams, pm me and we can organise something ;)

nice looking knife mate!

Andy

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
Cheers Andy!

I think i'll take you up on that offer, I'll need to get some transport sorted out

Your right stu, I'm an avid fly fisherman and when i caught my first trout on a home tied fly the feeling was much better than a shop bought. Its gives you a bit more satisfaction when its home made

Tom

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
no worries mate. - have a think of the kind of thing you want to make.

I've done a couple of lessons for people there. - so we can get something made up.

Right - I'm going to put a thread up about a meet at comrie in the meet up section! :D

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE