My first carving knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
I bought a Mora 162 today with a mind to learning to make bowls, cups and spoons.

Firstly did I get the right tool? Secondly.... Where do I start??? I have some Birch and Sycamore, is a spoon the best place to start? Is there anything I need to know specifically or do I just crack on and mess a few up.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
I would sharpen it before you do anything my 162 came pretty blunt and they can take a nasty chunk out of you being double edged. Being lazy with the tool I put too much energy into a stoke once and buried into my tendon on my left index finger.

Its a rather small tool good for spoons and fine for final workings on bigger bowls and kasas. Just practise on scrap wood until you get used to it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Find some dowel or tubing approx 3/4" diameter. Wrap strips of abrasive (Fine automotive finishing sandpapers) 600/800/1000/1500 around those mandrels for sharpening.
Office filing cards and chrome green for honing will work well.

SoldierPalmer makes a crucial point = the double edge is dangerous with any lapse in attention. Leather glove when sharpening & honing.
Pacific Northwest native style carving knives are likewise double edged, so is a Mora #188. I have cut myself to the bone before I noticed.

If you're game to revise a bevel from 25 degrees to 12 degrees,
any farrier's crooked hoof knives make nice single-edged carving tools, Mora #171 and #172 as examples.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Thanks, I will have a go at sharpening it and have the stuff needed. I have only just got to a point where im happy with my sharpening of straight knives though.
I really don't want to hurt myself due to a blunt tool though.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Well I had a go. Even after taking into consideration the warnings here.... I ended up hitting a knot in the spoon and stupidly tried to just plough through it.... I deflected and hit my forearm. Luckily just a glancing scratch!

Getting there, just need some finishing and sanding.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
See if you can even up the rim and thin it in the process. Makes the bowl look bigger/deeper.
Do your best not to bleed on a carving, OK?. Practicaly impossible to carve off, wet or dry.

That's your first spoon? You must keep it above all others. Great start.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
A small hatchet can speed up the process, I found using a knife for roughing out tiresome. Also .. new toys to buy ! :lmao:

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Everyone has to sacrifice some blood to appease the carving gods once in a while, call it an occupational hazard.

Silly question but are you using the 162 for the whole carving?
Nothing wrong with that but a good knife will give you a lot more control and make the carving easier, a mora clipper or companion goes for £10-15 and you won't find much better for spoon carving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
This is what I used to make it:

I managed not to bleed on it. Lol

It will be a keeper for sure, though I am far from finished with it.

Re kit, I already have plans on a Mora 106 or 120 and the Mora Draw knife.

The Hultafors did a pretty decent job but I also have plans for a Carpenters Axe and a Small Splitting Axe... Perhaps the Husqvarna pair?

Im also looking at the flexi cut knives.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Do consider a spokeshave for shaping the handle. Many handles are spoke-shaped.
The design of a spokeshave makes the depth of the cut far easier to control than with a draw knife
which is OK for the rough part. I use a Stubai draw knife and adzes to round off split woods
Samona spokeshaves are cheap, easily adjusted and excellent blade steel.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I have the mora draw knife which many will tell you is a push only knife and as Zingmo says is marketed as a splitting knife. I use mine all the time for carving and have found it works well pushing away from yourself and as a draw knife pulling towards you, on a safety note make sure your elbows are locked to your sides when pulling towards yourself. If they are away from your body it is possible for the blade to hit your torso at speed if you slip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I have a mora 162, simply couldn't get on with it as it came, so I removed the handle and replaced it with one about twice the length of the original one, I now find it much better.
I have to admit I stole the idea from Robin Wood, having seen his spoon knife designs.
I also sometimes use a spokeshave, a very versatile tool and a safe way to get youngsters involved in carving.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE