My first attempt at a Sgian Dubh.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Askdamice

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2006
Windsor Ontario Canada
I usually make bush knives..... but was recently inspired to try my hand at one of these little beauties....

Rick

WTSgianDubh6.jpg

WTSgianDubh4.jpg

WTSgianDubh5.jpg

WTSgianDubh2.jpg

WTSgianDubh3.jpg

IMG_0011-2.jpg

IMG_0014-1.jpg

IMG_0016-1.jpg

IMG_0013-2.jpg

IMG_0018-1.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like that, a proper shaped handle to lie neatly too. :approve:
Did you make the blade ?
I haven't seen that style of sock sheath in years, eminently practical down a sock leg :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Hello rick you get around a bit don't you!:D Nice wee knife but when are we going to see a photo of you in your kilt mate?;)Are you part Scot's perhaps?Kind of like the U.F.O or Jackson Pollock sheath here's a photo of my sgian dubh.I think this wee knife gave me the knifemaking bug.
IMG_4500.jpg

Great work mate,making myself a Scottish dirk is a dream project for me one day perhaps!See you round Al (from myspace)

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Stunning knife mate lots of work gone into that one, very nice indeed and that sheath is really nice.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Lovely work Rick - I particularly like the angled handle - looks very tactile both to use and wear.

I like the sheath as well and like others have said is such a simple and effective way of holding it secure;)

Askdamice

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2006
Windsor Ontario Canada
Thanks for all the great comments, brothers. Yes, I hand forge my own blades, make my own handles and hand stitch my own sheathes. This particular sheath was my first Kydex/leather hybrid. I thermo-formed the Kydex, then glued and stitched the leather around it.

The sheath style just made sense to me. I searched the web to find something similar and couldn't.... so I just made my own design. (Someone said they haven't seen one like this in thirty years...... I'm still looking)

I've been away from this site for sometime, now. I used to be a regular. Alot has happend since.... I'm now an ABS Apprentice Smith working under Master Smith, Wally Hayes in Canada. I'll post a thread in Edged Tools to let you know what I've been up to.... complete with shop pics.

Thanks
Rick

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
ingramdirk98782hw.jpg

I had Gene Ingram do a somewhat similar leg sheath a couple years ago for this custom Dirk. It does not have the kydex liner, but it works quite well in my sox.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE