My Clipper blade is discolouring?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
It is just patina buddy, it is natural for high carbon steel . A lot of people go out there way to force a patina on there knifes because it looks ok and stops rust .You can get it off if you want with a bit of elbow grease and some fine grit wet n dry paper.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Brasso gets it off without marking the blade. I prefer to leave them on though as it adds character and protects against rust.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Can also be tannins from wood and stuff youve been chopping, which come of nicely with some nice slurry (ie that left on your sharpening stones after use) without polishing off the general patina, or some strop paste or autosol. If its just one isolated big black streak I think this might be the case.

Colin

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Even if you clean this off, you'll get more marks again everytime you use it, and rust if it gets damp. It's one of the natures of high carbon steel, love it or hate it. Get the stainless version and you won't get marks like that.

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
Even if you clean this off, you'll get more marks again everytime you use it, and rust if it gets damp. It's one of the natures of high carbon steel, love it or hate it. Get the stainless version and you won't get marks like that.

Hmm so I guess I will do a patina, so I just drive the knife into a potato, and put it in vinegar?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hmm so I guess I will do a patina, so I just drive the knife into a potato, and put it in vinegar?

You can do, if you want a black messy blade. Loads of people do. I go so far before my sparkly OCD kicks in. Patina is corrosion afterall, and once surface corrosion has taken hold, you don't see any further effects as it is there. Old tools are corroded and have excellent patina and character. Just don't think that patina isn't a form of surface corrosion, it is. If you have an O1 blade, accept it and love it for the character it puts on your blade as you cannot avoid it unless you polish your blade constantly or buy stainless variants.

I know my home made pickled eggs (chilli and Garlic ) managed to put a good rust patch on My DSP at the wilderness with in 3 hr of spearing the egg and it was wiped after not a patina propper rust but hey its a working knife and only the Prototype any way ;) the Stirfry sauces have a similer effect only black if you use the knife to slit the packets

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE