mushroom knife brush

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
what is the brush for on a mushroom knife, it appears so often but I can't figure out why you'd use it?!
cheers
Wilderbeast

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I think it's just for cleaning the mushrooms... though I may be mistaken

Atb
Pete

Well, it they didn't design it for that, all I can say is that it seems to work pretty well for that purpose. :)

mushroom_knife2b.jpg

morels3b.jpg

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Its for an improvised disguise, the handle of the knife taped to the nose gives the appearance of a natty moustache!

Lou

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My Italian, folding shroom knife has a pronounced curve, a ruler on the side and a fold out brush...I wish I knew enough about harvesting the wild shrooms to get a decent amount of use out of it!

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
See I dont get that.. most fungi experts tell you to pick the whole fungi, cos the base often is crucial for ident...
I suppose you can then use the knife to slice a bit for cut surface ident, but any knife will do that.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you have positively IDed your shroom then you want to cut rather than pick it - to stop dirt getting into the gills and making your meal gritty!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
See I dont get that.. most fungi experts tell you to pick the whole fungi, cos the base often is crucial for ident...
I suppose you can then use the knife to slice a bit for cut surface ident, but any knife will do that.

I learned to identify morels 50 years ago so... :)

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
I hate to reopen such a old thread, but I thought I should clear up some things about this...

You never want to actually pick the mushroom as that will damage the Mycelium and that will slow down the growth of new mushrooms.
A mushroom knife should be VERY so as to cut without damaging the stem.
You use the brush the dirt(or insects) off.
There should be a serrated unsharpened part of the blade something like a fish scaler somewhere on the blade to help removing the skin.
Why not wash the mushroom rather than brush it? apparently that damages the inside of the mushroom.
I would not know as I hate mushrooms!
I have though, recently started collecting mushroom knives... Yea,I know...:werd:
I came across an Opinel mushroom knife at a gun show, and when I asked to see it, the vendor said that I was the first person to know what it was...:cool:
It was only around $30.00 usd so I snatched it up...
It was this model:
opinel-champignonmes-OP08-06.jpg

Now I 'need' about 5 or 6 more...:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE