Multi tool carry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
As with any and all tools it always depends when, where, what and why.
If all of these things are acceptable no trouble if there is an issue with any of them then deep trouble.

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands
cool fellas thanks treating my self to a new rebar and was not sure if you could carry one on your belt or not as its not a knife as such so thought it would be ok

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands
been looking on other forums some say its ok and some say its not I guess I would not be wearing it when going out for drinks and meals or sea side but when out bush crafting fishing and using my camera I guess it would be ok ? seems daft if you ask me when you could go into any hardware shop and buy a 12" kitchen knife that would cause loads more damage

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
If it locks then you need good reason, if the cutting edge is greater than 3" then you need good reason. We can discuss what good reason is and the reality/madness of UK knife laws until the cows come home but that there's the law...

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
As said any locking blade needs good reason regardless of size.a multi tool is a grey area.if you're carrying it for your job then its still down to the individual officer.
I was once leaving my office and an officer was in reception and i noticed he was carrying a multi tool.so i asked what the legal guideline was.he simply replied,you're an engineer and yourr at work so its ok but down to the individual officer.so walking ariund town shopping out of work may not be deemed reasonable carry.

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
I always carry a multi tool at work but I work in the same place everyday as a maintenance man so the only time I might fall foul of the law is if I pop out somewhere during the day or on my way home. I also quite often carry one at the weekend/out of work especially if I am out on my motorbike as it forms part of my tool kit which I believe gives me a good reason, I would not take it into a busy pub or town/shopping centre on show though.

The other option is to convert it to a knife less multi tool I've seen them swapped out for other tools or re profiled into spatulas/spreaders but you'd probably also have to do the same with the saw if it has one that locks, or somehow remove the lock if the blade length is sub 3".

I think if you need to try and convince yourself it's OK to carry one then you will probably have a hard time convincing even a decent copper that you have a legal reason.

Cheers

Jon

Cheers

Jon

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
I always carry a multi tool at work but I work in the same place everyday as a maintenance man so the only time I might fall foul of the law is if I pop out somewhere during the day or on my way home. I also quite often carry one at the weekend/out of work especially if I am out on my motorbike as it forms part of my tool kit which I believe gives me a good reason, I would not take it into a busy pub or town/shopping centre on show though.

n

Jon

You may have trouble justifying a good reason when on your motorbike;

1. Is it on your belt? Or tucked away with other tools you're carrying?

2. Why do you specifically need a multi-tool with a locking blade for bike jobs? Wouldn't other tools be more appropriate etc....

Obviously it's on the day, down to who's stopping you and a number of other variables....but I don't think that would easily meet the threshold.....

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Id stick it in the bike tool roll.on the whole multi tools are just that and most of the time seen as a toll not an offensive weapon.but then it comes down to how far the law is interpreted in the day.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
To avoid the issue completely, I carry a Gerber multitool with a snapped off blade (fatigued snap not intentionally snapped) and a separate sub 3" friction folder.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I carry a folder (sak farmer) in a belt sheath, & also carry a multi tool. I carried a gerber for a long time, & I had removed the blade from it, but wasn't happy with the tools, other that the pliers(they were fine), I then got another one (name escapes me)that was none locking but didn't like it. I now carry my old original leatherman, that I have adapted so the blades don't lock but all the tools do.
I use mine daily(I'm a gardener) & I know I could carry a locking one, but can't be doing with the hassle of having to search myself every time I go somewhere. I'm liking the sound of the leatherman without a blade, i'll have to look into that.

Rob

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Leatherman Juice is my daily carry. Never without it and never worried about the locking side of things as its a sub3 slippy. Well i say never without it, my brother did make me remove it from my belt when i was best man at his wedding.

They wont replace a proper one for the woods but its relative peace of mind for an EDC.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE