Mukluks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
I'd never heard of Mukluks until earlier today, when someone elsewhere metioned they had bought a pair for a trip to Norway.

Anyway, I've been having a look into the out of curiosity and in addition to their intended purpose, I'm wondering if these over boots, in conjunction with a suitable pair of socks, might actually double as a have decent wild camping 'slipper'?

It would probably not be too clever to sit close to a campfire in a pair of these mukluks, but after a long days hike in your boots, when you've made camp and want to give you feet a bit of a breather, but padding around barefoot isn't an option, I'm starting to think that a pair of mukluks, with their soft flexible fabric but tough under sole, could be a better option than say snugpak tent boots or north face mules, for protecting your feet on rough ground.

They would certainly be a cheaper option :)

Anyway, If any of you good people have any experience of mukluks and would like to chip in your opinion, as to whether they could double as a wild camping slipper, I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

Colin

BRITISH ARMY SURPLUS ISSUE MUKLUK SNOW OVER BOOTS
£9.99 - £12.99
$(KGrHqVHJFIE92EZwDTUBPwilVEt0w~~60_1.JPG

Made from soft flexible fabric
Laces to secure boot to foot
Leather re enforced band around sole area
Tough under-boot rubber sole
Worn as an over boot for warmth & comfort in the snow

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
"Overboots?" that's news to me. I was under the impression they were worn only with thick felt (or wool) liners and heavy socks.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
These are great with a felt boot liner but ONLY in cold DRY conditions imho.
I have used mine in the Arctic with good effect.
Great price!
Chris.

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
Cheers for the feedback.

I think at just over a tenner, I might just have a punt at these and see how I go, or point one of the people threatening to spend at least a tenner on me for my birthday, in their direction.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I bought some USAF Mukluks a few years ago, but wasn't keen on the colour, so i pimped them!
P1010016.jpg

You can see my thread on them if you search for 'pimp your mukluks', i did it some time in 2010.
But great for cold, dry conditions or, as you fancy, as soft, comfortable footwear around camp or in a tent. But i wouldn't wear them for any distance unless it's way below 0 and lots of snow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE