MSR Pocket Rocket brew test OR It may be sunny but it's still (...) January

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
Got one of these as a backup/alternative to my Honey and Trangia so thought I'd give it (and my boy) a run out.

Brew's up :)

Simple, light and efficient. I was glad it got the boil going so quickly too. My misplaced confidence in the warming properties of the January sun from the comfort of home and resultant decision not to take my Swannie Mosgiel meant that I was soon freezing my **** off.

Last edited:
I also like my wee pocket rocket - but it ain't half as reliable as my wee petrol coleman peak 1 - how many times on winter mountain walks have I tried to brew up with the pocket rocket using good quality iso propane/butane cartridges & found the gas is frozen or sluggish?? - it would'nt work at all during this weekend's trip. If I was gonna get another gas stove, I'd go for one - likely an MSR also but with a preheat pipe channeling the gas over the burner.

Last edited:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I also like my wee pocket rocket - but it ain't half as reliable as my wee petrol coleman peak 1 - how many times have I tried to brew up with the pocket rocket using good quality iso propane/butane cartridges & found the gas is frozen?? - it would'nt work at all during this weekend's trip. If your gonna have a gas stove, better getting one with a preheat pipe channeling the gas over the burner.

and a remote gas cartridge then you can turn it upside down and, then, still burn the same gas mix but I agree Panel wipe (petrol) is more reliable when its cold
cheers Danny

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
We've got the pocket rocket also, bought originally to keep pack weight down and make best use of space. Cracking little cooker managed to cook and brew up for 2 no problems on an orienteering weekend. I also take a bit of tinfoil to fashion a wind break this also speeds things up. Just got to be a bit careful when cooking due to the heat being focused in one area ( i think others have found this also). Again to save on weight we just took one small ali camping pan ditched the lid and used tinfoil again cheaper than titanium!!!.
We have also since bought as one of the gelert copy types at half the price as a secondary/backup when we can't have a fire. Not noticably different in cooking ability but slightly heavier but i dont think thats too noticeable either. Not sure on longevity of the gelert but quality seem fine.
Cheers
Shutz

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Checked out your link - looks the biz...so this definetly allows me to use my pocket rocket with an inverted gas canister then???

No it will not allow you to run the canister inverted. The pocket rocket does not have a preheater tube so if you invert the canister you will allow the appliance to get fed liquid LPG not vapour the flame will be like fire ball. Not good at all.

Also using the gelert kit means the canister will be further from the heat source so it will not get any ambient heating from the burner or pan which means it will likely perform worse in very cold weather.

If you want to operate a gas stove on liquid LPG it needs to have a pre heater tube fitted and you need to exercise a good deal of caution.

On this image of a Windpro you can see the preheater it's the silver tube by the burner.

WindPro.jpg

HTH

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE