Moving in the right direction...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Well I mentioned before our two chickens, Fluff and Geraldine weren't laying. This morning I fed them, let them out and have them some water- and casually decided to check the coupe to see if they needed cleaning out. I found no mess but instead three eggs! Free range ones officially! It seems that us looking after them more has obviously encouraged them to lay a few eggs and boy was I happy! It was fried egg on toast for breakfast- and they were gorgeous. We've got fruit, mainly apples, that are nearly ready for eating, bees should be getting moved over soon and raised veg beds are on the horizon for next year. Another step in the right direction is getting my air rifle scoped and hopefully should have more time to go fly fishing than I used too. Here are some pictures, 'cos if there's no pics it didn't happen' :p

imagejpg1_zps2b32ae93.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsf56cbb7c.jpg

imagejpg3_zps61124e4e.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsb10b74e6.jpg

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
fly fishing. tried it. t be honest had more success with worms :)

got t love fried egg on toast specially from ya own chooks nice one mate

Aye it's tasty for sure! I've had more on the fly than the worm- used to do a bit of bubble float and worm but the fly is more fun- I've done better too :).

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Nothing quite like a fresh egg from your own Chickens, We have five a day from our girls, have had one dropped into my hand before now straight from the chook.

We keep ours in a cool dark place and unwashed so they stay usable for longer, we have used eggs up to 3 months old using this method, but washed ones go off quicker we found.

Just remember that Super market eggs are still advertised as "Fresh" up to a month after laying.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Nothing quite like a fresh egg from your own Chickens, We have five a day from our girls, have had one dropped into my hand before now straight from the chook.

We keep ours in a cool dark place and unwashed so they stay usable for longer, we have used eggs up to 3 months old using this method, but washed ones go off quicker we found.

Just remember that Super market eggs are still advertised as "Fresh" up to a month after laying.

Yeah it's fantastic! We are hoping to get some more soon. Thank you for the use by info- it's good to know they'll keep that long- I had though about a week or two- but it's nice to know they'll be good for some time longer :).

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Awesome stuff Cameron, good on you. Never been fishing properly. Keep meaning to remedy that - but I need a teacher :eek:

What scope did you go for?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Awesome stuff Cameron, good on you. Never been fishing properly. Keep meaning to remedy that - but I need a teacher :eek:

What scope did you go for?

Cheers mate!
You should have a go if you ever can- great hobby and very satisfying :).

In the end I got a hawke sport HD 3-9 x 50 AO IR. It was an exam results pressie as it was a great day. It's a good scope- well made and crisp and clear - I like it well for the gun :).

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Remember - if you want hard boiled eggs, always use eggs that are several days old. Really fresh ones are the devils own job to peel the shells from!

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Went to our chickens this evening as we have one that lays later than the others to see if she had "delivered"... She had, and yet another double yolk, we were getting one of these a day from her, as she was quite new to the egg laying game, then we thought she had settled in, but now this... I bet she squawked!

greensurfingbear

Took a while for the chooks I used to own to start laying but once they did I had more eggs than I could use and ended up sharing them with friends and family.

It is so satisfying producing your own food (or looking after hens who lay food for you)

Orric

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Went to our chickens this evening as we have one that lays later than the others to see if she had "delivered"... She had, and yet another double yolk, we were getting one of these a day from her, as she was quite new to the egg laying game, then we thought she had settled in, but now this... I bet she squawked!

Cracking- I'd love to get a double yolk too! :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Took a while for the chooks I used to own to start laying but once they did I had more eggs than I could use and ended up sharing them with friends and family.

It is so satisfying producing your own food (or looking after hens who lay food for you)

Orric

Yeah it's great feeling- we'll probably end up baking cakes as well as just giving others fresh eggs :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Just checked now and we've got another egg- great! This ones for my mam, as she never had any of the other ones. We're planning to get another four hens hopefully- some bantam types - geuss we'll see but with any luck we should have a nice egg supply :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE