Mountain Men

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bhold

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2005
Lancaster
This is a nice reading. Going straight to the point:

Osborne Russell's Journal of a Trapper

Preface

Journal of a Trapper is one of the most important first hand accounts of the mountain man era. In it, Russell provides a detailed narrative describing the day-to-day life of an ordinary trapper in the Rocky Mountains. The Journal begins when Russell hired on with Nathaniel Wyeth's second expedition to the west. He participated in the establishment of Fort Hall, and later became a free trapper. He trapped for nine years in the greater Yellowstone region before leaving the mountains to settle in Oregon.
In this transcription, I have attempted to retain the original spelling and punctuation. Any text enclosed in square brackets [ ] was supplied by the editor where the manuscript was unclear - other editorial comments were used sparingly. No footnotes have been retained from previous editions, because of the intent to provide the source material in its original form.

http://www.xmission.com/~drudy/mtman/html/ruslintr.html
at the bottom of the page you'll find a link to the book, entirely available online and for download.

Cheers, and have fun.

Luciano

Reactions: Justin Time

OldBaldGuy

Aug 6, 2004
California, USA
I bought it a couple of years ago. It was very interesting (as a kid I always wished I had been born in that era). I tried to follow his travels on a map, and if he was accurate, some days those guys really covered some ground...

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
"The Caw or Kanzas Indians are the most filthy indolent and degraded sett of human beings I ever saw."

lol, seems like a nice guy :rolleyes:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I went onto Amazon and bought a secondhand copy (well actually my girfriend bought me a copy for crimbo) for £4.50 so I will tell you what its like after I have read it. :)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Downloaded it, printed it off, took a section to read on the way to work, got the sheets mixed up and realised it didn't hhave page numbers on it. Balls.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE