Most durable knife & sharpening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peterdc

Dec 28, 2011
Belgium
I think I will go for the bravo 1... beautiful knife!! more expensive than my goal, but I think it's worth spending extra.
together I'll get me one or two mora's for the skandi grind, for the more precise carving needed.

I still want to get me a bachup knife, in case the bravo desides to leave me. and am thinking about getting a blank fallkniven f1 and put on micarta handles myself.. (why is the micarta version so expensive??)

Peterdc

Dec 28, 2011
Belgium
It might be worth dropping Pict a PM (I think you need to make 10 posts before you can PM) ~ unless he's moved and not updated, his location is Central Brazil. He's known as Colhane on youtube ~ link to his channel.

What better source than someone on the ground that you're aiming to cover?

thanks! what a nostalgia when looking at the forest in his youtube movies!!!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I think I will go for the bravo 1... beautiful knife!! more expensive than my goal, but I think it's worth spending extra.
together I'll get me one or two mora's for the skandi grind, for the more precise carving needed.

I still want to get me a bachup knife, in case the bravo desides to leave me. and am thinking about getting a blank fallkniven f1 and put on micarta handles myself.. (why is the micarta version so expensive??)

Each to his own opinion, but I personally would avoid anything very technical, like the sandwich-construction F1, for long term out-of-the-way and possibly hard use.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Each to his own opinion, but I personally would avoid anything very technical, like the sandwich-construction F1, for long term out-of-the-way and possibly hard use.

Generally I would agree and while I personally don't like the design of the f1 they have proven to be an extremely robust and reliable knife. So I would be confident to have one (if I were to like the look and feel of them ever) long term.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Have you thought of taking a few blades with you they can be bought very cheeply and made into knives as you need them. What about a pukko like the Rossilli Carpenter in UHC a very hard wearing steel I know its carbon but it is a great cutter.

Mark

Peterdc

Dec 28, 2011
Belgium
Have you thought of taking a few blades with you they can be bought very cheeply and made into knives as you need them. What about a pukko like the Rossilli Carpenter in UHC a very hard wearing steel I know its carbon but it is a great cutter.

Mark

Do you mean steel plates or blank blades? as far as I've seen on the enzo trapper and fallkniven f1 blank blades are not that much cheaper.. I'm gonna take a look at all the blades you guys proposed here :)

Peterdc

Dec 28, 2011
Belgium
the bravo and the gunny are outstanding tools love all my bark river knives very much, and i love a2 a lot, it holds a great edge, as for convex, its the way forward, it took me ages to come round, but i always opt for conves now, unless its for carving.
take care.
lee.

For alround work, do you think the bravo 1 is better than the gunny (being bigger and sturdier I guess)
except for the size I see no difference in these 2...

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
the bravo and the gunny are outstanding tools love all my bark river knives very much, and i love a2 a lot, it holds a great edge, as for convex, its the way forward, it took me ages to come round, but i always opt for conves now, unless its for carving.
take care.
lee.

Agree with you 100%

I just don't think the bravo would be the worlds greatest carver (or rather woodworker) which was an answer to the OP's question.

If woodwork would be the main task, and you can take only 1 knife, how would the bark river bravo 1 be??

But, learn to work round a knifes shortfalls and you can make anything, as they say! One things for sure, the BRKT's bravo is a knife for life :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I will move back to Brazil and probably live there for the rest of my life....So I want to bring a knife with me which will last as long as possible (preferably forever as I won't be buying another quality knife over there)..."

Pict of this forum spends a great deal of time in Brazil, he uses a Newt Livesay NRGS as a neck knife, I have never seen one in the flesh but it looks like it may fit the bill...

[video=youtube;9BwUydd2JKo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BwUydd2JKo[/video]

I believe they sell for around sixty dollars US.

As nice as it is to have the nicest tools one can have I'm a great believer in working with whatever is to hand, if the tools you can buy there are 'inferior' then maybe you could improve them? Which part of Brazil do you plan to settle in? It is a big place and your choice of environment is huge.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE