More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! i would have never realised they whipped with wire!.

Better keep it with these then

BigSpikes_zps118aa2e9.jpg

All broad arrow marked woth 1950s or 70s dates. Eeeee its hard to resist a big metal spike!

ATB

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ok, I de rusted this odd screwdriver herself got and here's a couple of pics of the mechanism. Does anyone know what it's for. The arm that rises isn't that strong being quite fine at the end,

image_zps0dabee34.jpg

image_zps26089684.jpg

Theres grooves on the tip of the blades underside and on the corresponding part of the central arm on top.

any ideas?

ATB

Tom

Saw this today

$_12.JPG

Which is a form of splicing fid with a cutter

Might yours be a fid used to grip and pull through whipping twine for the old sail makers whippings?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Still got no idea what it is so could be! Last week we stayed in bed listening to the rain instead of going to the 'boot. It's looking like the same will be happening this Sunday.

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well folks, herself kidnapped us all while we were heading to Asda for the big shop and despite the drizzle took us to the carboot. Much to my surprise there were a few stalls and the tool guy was there although as it was 11.30 the boxes had been well picked over. Still I was there so I had a rummage and blew £5 of herselfs money except the 10 unissued, still sealed in their box, 1941 dated army one pint pie dishes which herself got for a undisclosed sum. Why I don't know as I've never known her make a pie...

image_zps5edf3f73.jpg

Anyroad, the two rolls of gaffer needed a crow bar to get them apart so are pretty strong, The 1 inch round punch is a Priory, unused but there's some surface rust so it will be getting a soak in citric acid solution, the scythe stone is used but once cleaned up you won't be able to tell, the chisel is a old Spear and Jackson made in England, unused as well, the tommy bars a nice unissued 1952 Britool, some storage rust but that will come off. The leeeetle box is the cutest unopened Nettlefords one gross of 1/4" brass screws.

ATB

Tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice haul

Send your wife over - I'm knocking up a kilo of shortcrust as we speak (its relaxing in the fridge as I type this) - although today's is for Cornish pasties rather than pies. We'll get her baking in no time :)

Proper man food - those dishes are crying out for a chicken and mushroom!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Better than nowt ( I've been spoiled!) They cleaned up pretty. I didn't go mad and try and remove all the factory finish but most went getting the rust off.

image_zpsf7591076.jpg

i'm the cook in our house, although I'm training up all three lads. My mother insists I am too heavy handed for pastry , producing what she terms "clack". I tend to cheat and buy it chilled. I suppose my signature pie, suggested and made with the collusion of the eldest, is the breakfast pie, sausage pieces, chunks of bacon, patches of drained baked beens, mushrooms and held together by beaten egg. We had been debating what was the best sort of pie for breakfast and decided to make our own. We decided not to go mad with the number of ingredients ( unlike my lethal full English breakfast ). It worked anyway.

i have a great fondness for good old fashioned plate pies, done on enamel plates of course...

i'm now hungry dammit!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ok not carboot but from a charity shop, and ones for cooking (making food) so it's just a sort of tool. Anyway for 4.99 picked up a still in its box Lodge 21 inch griddle, corrugated on one side and smooth on the other and for a pound a rug making tool thing which cleaned up nicely. I had to explain what it wa but don't know precisely how it was used myself.

image_zps1422b579.jpg

Nice bit of beech once the dirt was removed!

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
image_zps5a175739.jpg

Two used once 20l jerrycans £10 each (herselfs)
2 wooden bowls ( one rather nice beech ) 50p each
4 unissued but rusty army issue screwdrivers to restore £2
100 3/16 x 2 inch square head galvanised screws £1
old but unused canvas woodworking apron 50p
blacksmiths chisel thingy, new old stock is marked
"DOUBLE GRIFFIN SUPER CHISEL STEEL BR(M)"
on one side and
"BALFOUR'S SHEFFIELD. GRIFFIN" with a picture of two Griffins. £3
Yankee no. 130 A Stanley Sheffileld screwdriver" a bit rough but should clean up well. £1.50

ill do after pics when they are fettled.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
In my mind turn screws but they have 1960s dates so the VAOS Terminology may have changed to screwdrivers. Sheffield made anyway and should clean up nice.

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
They cleaned up OK, some of the deeper scars I left rather than sand the handles down to nowt.

image_zpsf26bb51b.jpg

I'll turn the battered Yankee bit into a larger ring and dot auger. Total cost less time and sand paper, £3.50.

Atb

Tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep screwdrivers - to me turnscrews have a parallel end not a tapered end. Been after a good set for ages - or even some nice individual ones. Can't find them here at a good price though :(

You've done a lovely job there!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yeah, tapered ones turn up most often but parallel ones are sometimes coming through.

image_zps1a4dd124.jpg

For any fine work I've got a nice set of US made gunsmiths hex bits and a ratchet handle thing. Bought them new back when I was really into the deactivated LMGs.

ATB

Tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You and I need to go empty some brass out at some point!

If you stumble over any nice parallel sided turnscrews in gun screw sizes, could you pick them up for me? I'll see you right!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! ands sure but I must say I've not seen a boxed set of gunsmiths turn screws in a Donkeys age. It's not something I'd want for myself these days as I don't shoot and I got rid of most of the deacs a few years back, partly for the money to fund this money pit and partly as I think there was 22 LMGs and mediums by themselves and they took up a awful lot of space.

The bizarre thing is I've still never fired owt bigger than a air rifle and that was 25 years back! When I confessed to this to mates overseas some have practically demanded I visit them to fire their full auto stuff.

anyway I digress and better crash!

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Rather fuzzy headed today so can't find where I posted the before photos but last night in my sniffling,zombiefied state I finally polished and washed, dried and reassembled the 3 Turkish pepper grinders I picked up for pence.

I'd had to use a blow torch, wooden block and hammer to get the bases off two of them.

image_zps80e290ef.jpg

the medium sized one will go to the shed kitchen, the small one to the heavy base camp kit and the large I'll mark up for non food use, grinding up dyes, part crushed oak galls and things like that. The grinding surfaces are all steel and I suspect will handle owt I put in it.

No new carboot finds last Sunday as I was feeling too rough to get up early enough before Herself had to be at scouts for a all day first aid for juveniles course thing.

atb

Tom

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I think the 'screwdriver thingy' is a deburring tool. Slip the tapered body into a cut copper pipe, lock the blade to the angle you need with the ring and twist the blade around the outside edge. You will be left with a nice taper to enter into the gland or fitting.

Is the blade sharpened a little on the inner body side?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE