More a walk with an overnighter thrown in.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I'd planned a bit of a night out for over a week and I was keen to try out my hammock set up with the diy midge net and tarp.

This is my load, small hatchet (more a safety blanket than needed), couple of collins gems books, saw, cheap cheap mora, water, diy tarp, DD camping hammock with diy midge net in a diy snakeskin, issue warm weather bag, diy underblaket, black and yellow pouch (contains honey stove,small pot, cuppa pasta, coffee sachees, abit of oats, fire steel and a couple of natural fire lighters), wind shield, torch, FAK and pegs. All this was packed in a 65ltr rucksack. Carried a SAK in my pocket.

IMG00112-20110611-1104 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

Set of and this is at the end of my road

IMG00114-20110611-1519 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

Unfortunatly not where i was going because the farmer won't give me permission. This is where i was going, about 5 miles away by shank's pony.

IMG00115-20110611-1524 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

Passing Lemonroyd Marina

IMG00116-20110611-1539 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

Passing Leventhorpe Vineyard, what I believe to be the most northern in the UK

IMG00119-20110611-1612 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

Entering the wood, some of you in my neck of the world may recognise this.

IMG00121-20110611-1641 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

Going of the paths and losing myself, I found a secluded spot and set up.

IMG00124-20110611-1827 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

I was worried about being stumbled upon. No farmers to worry about just wandering chavs. these are looking back to my camp from about 50m away.

IMG00126-20110611-1851 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

IMG00127-20110611-1852 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

A couple from the hammock

IMG00131-20110611-1944 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

IMG00125-20110611-1836 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

The only contact I had was whilst watering the plants at 9.30pm when a black labrador bounced within 30m but no owner, he ran off without seeing me or my spaniel.

That morning I woke cold and get the watergoing for a brew and a bit of oats so simple.

IMG00137-20110612-0547 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

Standard Honey shot

IMG00136-20110612-0546 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

Looking back over Leeds and the general area of my camp.

IMG00140-20110612-0722 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

left at 7am and got home at 8.30am. In time for a shower and Sunday breakfast at mi mams :)

Don't know what was up with my boots but my feet are killing me now :-I

Thanks for looking.

spartacus

Forager
Sep 10, 2010
Bulgaria
Good post, thanks for sharing. There are grapes grown way up north of Scotland by some monks if I remember correctly. Towards Ullapool. Cheers.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
great post, looks a good spot, would love to have a dog like your to join me on my nights out. how did you get on with the DIY mozzie net. have you attached it to the hammock or is it a seperate item?

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I'd rather not confirm or deny the name of that house ;-)

Spartacus, thanks for taking the wind out of my sails!

Tank, she's called Daisy and apparently they are called springer spaniels for a reason. The trouble with her though is that everytime she twitched so did I to see what had made her move. I had to peg her leed down all night otherwise she'd have been wandering off all night. I was glad of the net it was a god send with all the flies and bugs. It's tied at either end and drapes underneath due to being tied together there with elastic shock cord, nothing came in all night.

Resnikov, as the crow flies I live 3ish miles south east of that house. All the photos were taken along that coridoor.

The camera hides the tarp better than when looking with the naked eye. The hammock is fine, but big breath, I'm not too sure i'm getting on with it as I've only manged one warm nights sleep in in a handfull of outings. But that might just be my experimentation at the moment.

Last edited:

BenCalver

Tenderfoot
I know what you mean with the twitching.
When I go and my dog moves I'm exactly the same. Always worst in the Dark. Doesn't help I have deer roaming in my woods.

Maybe considering getting him something like this: http://www.therange.co.uk/invt/312222/ and http://www.therange.co.uk/invt/312225/
I have both for mine. I make him carry his own gear in this http://www.petsathome.com/shop/3-peaks-terrain-pack-harness-55955
As I have a German shepherd/Rottweiler, he doesn't mind... He's a good working dog. :)

l3wis2000

Jun 2, 2011
Inverclyde
That looks like a great camp. Wish it would stop raining here so i can get away for a weekend.

I noticed you use the origional straps on your hammock, do you find they start to sag and if they do, how do you then adjust the tension?
I'm new to hammocking and i have'nt quite got my setup right yet.

Thanks for the pics

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Thanks again for your comments, and no its not your hat, it's MINE!!

It rained here yesterday as well, it was a bit of a pain as I had my canvas medieval tent set up for a local event but it cleared up and dried off in time for packing away.

I still have the original webbing with the hammock but I do intend to swap it for tree straps and whoopee slings. I'm still playing with the set up as well, i've the comfy position set but can't solve my sleeping cold problems yet. I set it up and sit in it to cause the stretching and then if it's too much just re-tighten but knowing this in advance I just pull it tight to start with and except it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE