Mora knife project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Well,I decided to do a Mora project.

The Mora blades produced by Frosts are a testament that you can have a first class blade that is mass produced. However, their handles and sheaths are a testament to just how cheaply you can make a handle or a sheath and still have something usable.

IMHO, probably the best Mora blades for use in a non-saltwater environment are the laminated carbon steel. This blade is all kinds of sharp and it has a tremendous edge holding ability, even after a lot of serious cutting and carving. The laminated steel is three layers of steel, with two softer, more flexible outer layers, and a hard inner layer with a hardness of Rc61-62.

This project was based around a 4-1/4" (108mm) laminated Mora blade. the blade has a rat-tail (stick) tang that is as long as the blade is. The blade was bare from the factory and had never been fitted for a handle.

For the handle material I used a very, very old hickory hatchet handle that was no longer useable as a hatchet handle due to the condition of the wood tang that went into the hatchet head, but the rest of the handle was still a beautiful, seasoned piece of old hardwood.

The bolster/handguard is made of T-6 aircraft aluminum. The lanyard hole is fitted with a 1/4" diameter section of brass tubing. The sheath was made from leather strap for repairing horse tack and sewn together with dacron thread.

The hone is a 1"x3" EZE-Lap diamond hone and the firetool is a 3/8" diameter magnesium firetool with a ferrocerium rod made by Horseshoe Mountain - http://www.hmfire.com/

The handle is 5-1/2" (140mm) long. I prefer a longer handle out in the bush on blades of this size for a number of reasons, such as greater control, greater leverage and power for cutting, extra length for cutting things like cactus, it fits my hand better, etc.

The blade tang is secured in the handle with JB Weld steel epoxy. JB Weld is an extremely good knife handle epoxy, expecially for hidden tang knives. The wood or the steel will give before the JB Weld does. The stuff is strong enough that it is used to patch engine blocks, but when it is first mixed, it runs loose enough that you can completely fill a tang cavity with no bubbles. The only way that handle is ever coming off is if you were to grind it off, and then it would take a while. The method I use for hollowing out the recess for the knife tang leaves a very rough interior, intentionally, and this provides an even better grip for the epoxy.

When the knife was finished and the JB Weld was allowed to fully cure for a few days, the handle was soaked in boiled linseed oil for 2 days.

Due to the wild sharpness of the laminated Mora blade, I made the sheath thick. All stitching is double stitched dacron thread. After construction, the sheath was given several treatments of Kiwi silicon spray waterproofing over a period of 3 days. The knife inserts and withdraws nicely but with enough resistance that I can hold the sheath upside down with the retaining strap un-snapped and the knife will not fall out of the sheath. The thick leather at the mouth of the sheath is beveled to allow the knife to be inserted easier under field conditions. There is a water drain hole in the tip of the sheath, on the back side. I made the belt loop big enough that it will fit on a US military issue web belt.

The loop which holds the firetool is sewn tight to maintain it's shape, and the excess tab was then sewn into the welt of the sheath. The firetool is held in with a length of paracord that has the internal threads removed to make it flatter. The paracord end is inserted upwards through the loop, while the firetool is inserted downwards, allowing the paracord to be drawn snugly and making the firetool very secure.

Rostov_Mora_8.jpg

Rostov_Mora_2.jpg

Rostov_Mora_1.jpg

Rostov_Mora_3.jpg

Rostov_Mora_4.jpg

Rostov_Mora_5.jpg

Rostov_Mora_6.jpg

Rostov_Mora_7.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For me, the handle is long - but it definitely works! Lovely finish.

Now that sheath is so "American". No idea why - just the design I guess. But again - it works!

Nice job

Red

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
British Red said:
For me, the handle is long - but it definitely works! Lovely finish.

Now that sheath is so "American". No idea why - just the design I guess. But again - it works!

Nice job

Red

:cool: Red, just think of it as a 'Cowboy Mora'.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Hmm...
I have an old cocobolo axe handle laying around doing nothing, think I've just found a use for it. :)

Bought it with axe head several years ago for 4 quid in brum. Unfortunately some twonk banged some ordinary nails into the eye, presumably after it was getting lose.
Since been rehandled with a nice new handle.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
To me that is three kinds of ugly. But Cowboy Moro seems to fit. Clunky may be another good descriptor. I would hate to think that is your idea of American craftsmanship. Alas, it may well be the case. Embarrassment is another word that comes to mind.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
weaver said:
To me that is three kinds of ugly. But Cowboy Moro seems to fit. Clunky may be another good descriptor. I would hate to think that is your idea of American craftsmanship. Alas, it may well be the case. Embarrassment is another word that comes to mind.

Good to see you are such a knife critic, oh great American craftsman, you. Kind of funny actually since some of your fellow countrymen on some other sites have asked me to build copies of this for them. If you want pretty, go shop for flowers.

You do realize that knife only has 1-1/4" extra length than a regular, factory wooden Mora handle? It also has a similar profile as a Mora Clipper. It's not clunky in the least, but the extra handle length does offer some noticeable advantages in power and control, in addition to reach. It's also better fitting for those with larger hands.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Here's a picture of the knife alongside a Kabar Mule folder for a size and perspective reference. The Mule has a 3-3/4" blade.

Rostov_Mora_9.jpg

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
The Mule's blade is AUS-8A with a stainless frame (heavy knife). It's extremely tough. It's become my favorite lockblade folder aside from my Leatherman.

It normally costs about US$45.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
mrostov said:
Good to see you are such a knife critic, oh great American craftsman, you. Kind of funny actually since some of your fellow countrymen on some other sites have asked me to build copies of this for them. If you want pretty, go shop for flowers.

You do realize that knife only has 1-1/4" extra length than a regular, factory wooden Mora handle? It also has a similar profile as a Mora Clipper. It's not clunky in the least, but the extra handle length does offer some noticeable advantages in power and control, in addition to reach. It's also better fitting for those with larger hands.

Don't let him get to you. It is a great looking knife. Some people have no taste :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE