Mora 2000 re-handle.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Hey chaps. I'm sorry to have to do this (no more spalted birch nonsense please :rolleyes:) but I knocked the comfy, but ugly handle off of my mora 2000, which I love by the way. I think it's a great knife for the money.

Epoxied the birch to the blade, and shaped roughly yesterday. Then a bit more rough shaping again this morning on a stroll. Still a bit to smoothing out the knife marks, a good sanding to make smooth. It feels more comfy than before, plus it's a tad more handsome. Of course, this is all leading up to me actually trying some leathercraft. I've been putting it off for a long time, building up the tools etc. :eek:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Apologies again, for more spalted birch pictures.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 357
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 353
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 354
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 355

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Thanks chaps. I have a question regarding the finishing. I have seen on the web that you can paint on super glue to seal and harden the wood even more. Has anyone tried this? I'll probably try it on a scrap piece first mind you. Just wondering if others have contemplated it. I'd prefer the old fashioned way of course.
Cheers.

Knife Craft

Mar 20, 2014
United States
Thanks chaps. I have a question regarding the finishing. I have seen on the web that you can paint on super glue to seal and harden the wood even more. Has anyone tried this? I'll probably try it on a scrap piece first mind you. Just wondering if others have contemplated it. I'd prefer the old fashioned way of course.
Cheers.

I use 100% Tung Oil only. Apply generous amount of the oil and let dry in the sun, it will be beautiful. Here is a spoon I carved from the same wood and treated with Tung Oil. Also a Kuksa I carved from same wood.

1 by michael sylvia, on Flickr

1 by michael sylvia, on Flickr

Last edited:

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Very nice carvings there. Regarding the application of the oil, is it better to put on thin layers, drying each time, or submerse the item for a bit?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Knife Craft

Mar 20, 2014
United States
Very nice carvings there. Regarding the application of the oil, is it better to put on thin layers, drying each time, or submerse the item for a bit?

I prefer putting on a good heavy coat and allow to sun dry. Two-three applications yield wonderful results. Needs to be a really nice sunny and warm day, this works best. I hope this is of help to you.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I prefer putting on a good heavy coat and allow to sun dry. Two-three applications yield wonderful results. Needs to be a really nice sunny and warm day, this works best. I hope this is of help to you.
Thanks, I will have a go I think. Though sunny days can be evasive here, when you go looking for them. I have some super fine abrasive sheets that a lens technician mate gave me. I've used it a little on one edge, and it brought it up amazingly smooth. Can't wait to finish it off now, stuck in work instead. :(

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Regarding tung oil. 100% stuff, which manufacturer is readily available in the UK?

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I got the Liberon stuff in the end. Not much choice of you're in a hurry.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
super nice!
ps you might want to make the handle a bit flatter, less round. So sand it down on both flat side, not the other 2.
regarding the finish; no glue please :) :) you can leave it 2 days in Tung oil or Linseed oil (jar) then wipe off and let it dry (Tung; 3 days Flax; 3 weeks)

https://www.dictum.com/en/surfaces/surface-protection-colours/oils/705286/lignea-tung-oil-1-l#
https://www.dictum.com/en/surfaces/...a-linolja-organic-swedish-linseed-oil-raw-1-l

Ah, yes, indeed I did. It is now much more akin to the original comfy rubber plastic one. I did buy the liberon brand, but that has quick drying additives. So I looked again and got a tin of Bestwood, pure tung oil. I'm in the process of giving it a coat a day. I'll take some pictures in a couple days.

Thanks for the links, always good to have other alternatives in the locker.

ps.. think I may try submersing it tomorrow. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE