Moose hunt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Holme

Mar 10, 2010
Sweden
Over here the annual moose hunting season almost stops all other activities in the country side.

Our hunting team consists from farmers/landowners and we have about 940 hectars of land between us. For us this years moose hunting season is now over, after successfully having shot 6 animals, four adults and two calfs and thereby exhausting our awarded limit.

We did all the butchering today, so now I´ve been packing meat all evening, filling the freezer to the limit, so now me and missus have all the meat we will need for the upcoming winter.:)

We are lucky, having a professional butcher in our group, so all the meat comes in clean cut pieces and the ground meat is of the highest quality. Even though I don´t consider myself to be that much of a hunter, I always prefer wild game before the average plastic covered pack i can get in the food store. That way i know the origin of the meat and that the animal that had to give up his life, actually roamed the land wild and free, untill the very moment it fell from a bullet.

I don't know how many hunters there are on this forum, but I would find it interesting to hear if there an eqivalent hunting season in the UK? I believe there are som very nice deer hunting opportunities in the Highlands, but are there any larger wild game in the rest of the country?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Deer/stag is the largest game species here, I think it's the biggest wild animal we have too (excluding horses).

However the most dangerous wild species out there is deffinatly ..the badger.. a truely horrific beast capable of killing any man in his tent. ;)

What does moose taste like?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Deer/stag is the largest game species here, I think it's the biggest wild animal we have too (excluding horses).

However the most dangerous wild species out there is deffinatly ..the badger.. a truely horrific beast capable of killing any man in his tent. ;)

What does moose taste like?

Chicken......:)

Holme

Mar 10, 2010
Sweden
Well, we normally don´t hunt horses over here, otherwise than the occasional trigger happy, half blind geezer that might shoot up a bicycle or so in the next shot.;)

I have a badger family living under one of my outhouses, that i have to do something about, before they undermine the whole building.

Actually moose meat has a rather neutral taste, about the same as beef, but leaner. In that way moose meat is quite different from roe or hare that has a much more "gamey" taste.

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I hope to be on my first hunt next year.
I'd really like to experience that, but first I have to make sure I understood the do's and dont's of (moose)hunting. And I probably will be doing the shooting with a camera....

Holme

Mar 10, 2010
Sweden
Moose can vary in size. I live and and hunt in the southwestern parts of Sweden and our moose are never allowed to grow as big as they can be in Alaska and Kamtjatka, Russia. A big moose bull here weighs perhaps 300-400 kilo and in many cases significantly less, but I guess, that is big enough...

Capercaillie is quite scarce in our parts of the country. I have only seen a few of them in my entire life, and i haven´t even heard of anyone hunting them here. However, they are more common further up north, and up there they are a common game, especially in the winter, when you can go by ski, hunting with a small caliber rifle.

Holme

Mar 10, 2010
Sweden
I hope to be on my first hunt next year.
I'd really like to experience that, but first I have to make sure I understood the do's and dont's of (moose)hunting. And I probably will be doing the shooting with a camera....

You will for sure learn all the "do´s and dont´s" - and you may rest assured, there are a lot of them - when you become a member of a moose hunting team.;) The most important of all - you never regret the shot that you never took, so if you want to fit in, always be absolutely shure that you aim at the right thing and that you hit it properly.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Moose can vary in size. I live and and hunt in the southwestern parts of Sweden and our moose are never allowed to grow as big as they can be in Alaska and Kamtjatka, Russia. A big moose bull here weighs perhaps 300-400 kilo and in many cases significantly less, but I guess, that is big enough...

Capercaillie is quite scarce in our parts of the country. I have only seen a few of them in my entire life, and i haven´t even heard of anyone hunting them here. However, they are more common further up north, and up there they are a common game, especially in the winter, when you can go by ski, hunting with a small caliber rifle.

Okay, I know I'm going to sound like the buffoon with the biggest fish story...but...
Years ago, we were on a moose hunt in Temagami and my dad bagged a real big one. We took it to the butcher in Eganville and the guy was astounded; he said it
dressed out 705 pounds of meat. He figured on the hoof it weighed near to 1400 pounds. This may be an exaggeration, but I do recall it took 4 or 5 of us
wrassling the beast just to get the guts out of it. And the liver was about the size of 2 basketballs!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE