Montane Featherlite Smocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
That's very similar to what my soft shell jacket was like. I miss it a lot, but the windproof breathable membrane delaminated on me over the right pocket and it gave up the ghost so to speak. Hmm....I should go purchase another one.

Needless to say, that looks like a great jacket. It has a nice cut and looks very chi-chi! :lmao:

Adam

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I ordered one of these and worn it a few times since it arrived. Packs up into a tiny ball in it's own stuff sac so my original idea was to just push it into a rucksack pocket and forget about it until I needed it.

I really like this little smock - it is amazingly light, fits well and does keep out the wind and (some) rain.

First time I wore it was over a fleece during a couple of miles walk on a drizzling and breezy afternoon and it performed perfectly - kept out the wind and kept the water out pretty well. I've also worn it a few time cycling to and from work, just over a short sleeved HH lifa top. Again it work perfectly but the difference between where it covered the Lifa and covering just skin on my arms was noticeable and distinctly chillier.

For bushcrafting, it's not that practical: it's a bit fragile and definitely wont like sparks or embers. That said it does work well over a fleece and kept me warm and dry so maybe for doing a bit of exploring or foraging it would be ideal. I think it will serve best as a liner for a smock or field shirt where it will really help water repellency and windproofing. I'd probably also use it to keep the chill off after dinner and before bedding down, so long as there was no open fire around!

Overall, good points are weight, pack size, windproofing and water repellency, cut and sizing. Bad points are it's too delicate, will melt on sight of an ember, the reflective spots on the arms are sooooooo annoying and pointlessly placed, and it's a little sweaty during exercise as it's not as breathable as I expected.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE