Monitor 17b burner tube-(A long shot but you never know!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I recently acquired a new project stove at a boot sale, its in need of a burner tube, anyone got one?

I've tried basecamp and classic camp stoves too and got the same: "Hens teeth"/"rocky horse shxx" replies as the stove is one of the "later ones" being about 60 years old and long out of production;)

I'd be happy to buy the part or................... better still:empty: organise a trade for a complete example of the stove in exchange for some leather work, eg: depending on condition; belt & sheath, sheath & saw pouch, pouch & belt, possibles pouch etc etc

I've got quite a few bits and bobs sitting doing nothing so

If you can help; contact me by pm please

cheers

Steve

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
I've got a monitor stove kicking about somewhere and also a stove with folding legs but I'm not sure if they are the same stove! Let me have a look tomorrow and get back to you with pictures :)

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
Steve, the monitor I have is a different model to what google shows yours as. Fortunately I do have a complete silent burner in the spares tin if that is any good to you? The stove with the folding legs is a SVEA now I think about it but I'm sure it has the same style burner as the stove you have but its been 'tidied away' so I won't know for sure until this evening. If you let me know if either of these are of interest I can put photos up and post off the chosen one for you to try out :)

Also, just to add that the bigger monitor has a silent burner too.

rancid badger

The burner tube is missing completely.

Thinking about it, I'd be interested in any old brass stoves on a trade basis, just contact me via pm and we can maybe sort something out.

I've been wondering if a vaporiser/spreader unit from another monitor would fit the tank:bluThinki I've given it its first clean up and mini fettle and it now pressurises and holds its pressure so all I need is the burner tube.

The lad who runs Classic Camp Stoves, lives just along the road, literally just at the other end of the village, so I'm hoping to arrange a meet up to pick his brains;)

thanks again

Steve

Last edited:

rancid badger

It's actually called a vaporiser tube but it's the tube that screws into the top of the tank. It looks on and off like a big bullet and the flame spreader slides over the top of the tube. Theres also a bit of brass wire mesh formed into a tube that in turn slides inside the burner tube.

To be honest, it looks exactly like the burner tube/vapouriser on a primus 96:
14456-f9eeeed520e59d361bce3151faee52ad.jpg

But it's a different thread.

I'm still looking and the trade offer still stands.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Suggestion:

Find a short brass bolt (or some sort of plumbing fitting with hopefully but not necessarily a hexagonal outer) which fits the thread in your stove. If it's a bolt, drill through it.

Get an Optimus 96 vaporizer and cut off the threaded bit to leave a threadless vaporiser of the appropriate length.

Braze the two together.

rancid badger

Do you have one in need of repair or not have one at all?

It's missing altogether.

I can't really see how I could make one or even convert a Swedish one for that matter. I seriously doubt that the thread is easily available in brass ( or anything else these days?)and I couldn't solder or braze it up anyway.

I've no doubt there will be spares out there but getting in touch with those who have them or indeed getting those who have them to part with them will be the biggest hurdle I imagine.

rancid badger

Looks pretty easy to make if dimensions were available?

It's a tapered tube, a bit like a bullet or lipstick,quite thin walled and with a tiny hole at the top,serving as the jet. It also has a piece of brass fine mesh folded inside it, to increase the surface area for better vaporization,as well as acting as a course filter.

Thing is; it has to be right. If it's not a good fit or the jet is the wrong size it's basically a non starter.

I tried a stove and lamp forum but you'd think I'd asked for the holy grail!

Saying that, it's months since I took a look back on there:rolleyes:

Steve

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If the stove still has its travelling plug, you have an example of the vapouriser thread. You'd need a good man with a lathe to copy the thread onto a scratch copy of the complete vapouriser. I wouldn't know where to begin but there are people out there who can and do this sort of thing.

I had a fitting made years ago to connect a Nova pump to a 111C burner to make an Explorer11 copy.

Attachments

• PMX.jpg
    PMX.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 8

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Looks like a cut off CO2 caplet soldered into a Brass 20mm conduit bush!

I would remove the female thread in the stove and solder or braize in a new metric piece, then making the Vap tube would be pretty simple.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE