Mongolian Buffalo Horn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Morning friends and other bushcraft community,

After purchasing what i beleived to be a mongolian buffallo horn for my yew longbow last week, i was shocked when it cracked under the pressure of the strings after 3 to 4 vigourous tugs. The tugs were not sufficient to break real mongolian buffalo horn therefore leading me to beleive i have been sold a rotten apple.
After my morning stew, i found this picture of a horn on google. IT looks very similar to the one i have. take a look:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=bu...&tbnw=169&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:0

Could anyone help me, and tell me if this horn is mongolian. I showed it to a bow friend and he seemed to think it wasnt even buffalo horn, more that of a bison or a wild boar.... any help people?

thanks, BNPB

And remember, keep your friends close but your bows closer.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Dont worry about it, its just a google image link that points off to the archery site.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
You will still see the pics of the buffalo horn. Only ever had one bit my self from Eric here hopefuly someone will be able to shed a little light on the subject. I only ever use overlays as the full on horn nocks i feel are only needed on the 100lbs+ stuff, anything under that they are just slowing the bow.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I don't know what type of Buffalo horn that is. Highland horn sell 'water buffalo' horn and is where I get mine from and I have never had a nock break.

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE