modified SAK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
So i was sitting there fiddling with my victorinox huntsman, and i decided that red is not my color, at all. i just had to do something about those crappy red plastic scales. seeing as i had a bit of elm knocking about (ok maybe its alot of elm ;)) i decided i might aswell make some nice elm ones.

i'd never done this before so i was a bit apprehensive at first, but once i got into it i was so eager to see the finished piece that i stayed up till 3am doing it, and i'm glad i did, i'm very chuffed with the results :)

apologies for the picture quality, they were taken on a mobile.

DSC00175.jpg

DSC00176.jpg

DSC00177.jpg

TJ

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Looks good
Can i ask how you removed the plastic scales and how you attached the wood ones?
I felled a cherry tree in the garden yesterday so i may have a go at doing this with cherry wood.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
i removed the plastic scales by getting the blade of my knife in underneath them as gently as i could then slowly wiggled it around all the way round the scales a couple of times and it just popped off. i attached the new ones by drilling holes in it the exact size and place of the bolts on the actual knife so that it would fit perfectly then put super glue in the holes and a little drizzle through the middle aswell for good measure.

hope that helps, i'm sorry im not very good at explaining things, you'll understand what i mean as you go along.

TJ

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Nice job especially as a spur of the moment job.

Your photos would be improved if taken in daylight outdoors and dont get so close but crop the shot.

Look HERE for Tutorial on how to do it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE