Minor Rant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
We took the Scouts on camp last weekend and used the brand new hammocks and tarps we had bought.

They had tried them out a week before and got a rocket for leaving a ridge line behind.

We inspected the kit tonight to find one of the hammocks is ripped and they've lost a tent peg.

All fairly minor, but as the evening activity was curtailed to sort out the big tent which we discovered had been packed away with two sets of poles and lots of spare pegs and then check the other tent which had no pegs or poles and luckily wasn't the one tent we had taken.

What annoyed me is the vacant look on their faces when you try to explain how they need to look after things and why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Damn younguns, shaking old fist at air and stroking greying beard

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Experiential learning. One long night feeling sorry for themselves and they will learn a new appreciation for their gear. Plus the leaders need to ensure the scouts develop proper systems to ensure the kit is put away and stored correctly. Wont stop the odd incident but will reduce them.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
One camp phone the parents at 0200hrs, telling them to come collect the kids as stuff broke, 2nd camp....all's well

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
One of the reasons the company I worked for didn't do ultra cheap festival packs and disposable BBQ's was to try and get folk away from the disposable culture of it.
I think the fact that any money I had as a kid was from berry and tattie picking helped me know the value of what I bought.
Suppose the make do and mend mentality has gone these days.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
What annoyed me is the vacant look on their faces when you try to explain how they need to look after things and why.

Been there ... often it's down to not being/feeling connected to the kit*. Assuming thre troop doesn't already do so, perhaps they need an evening or two scheduled in to be shown or learn some basic maintenance fixing skills?

* It's not just kids, plenty of adults have a 'So? Let's just get a new one' attitude ;) . And, at least in part, some of it is also attributable to 'But no one told me not to ...'

I blame the leaders! ;)

Me too :rofl:

(I generally get the blame when ours say or do something ... interesting/unusual/unexpected/all of the above :eek: and I take great pride in that :D :evilangel: )

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I found that once my Scouts started making their own gear and repairing the Group kit, making replacement pegs etc they also started looking after kit a bit better.....

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
I'd like to agree with the "leave it and they'll learn" principle, except:
it's not always the same Scouts next time; some would quite happily pitch a tent inside out with three pegs and act surprised when it falls over and rips in the night... and could you bear to put damaged kit away for the sake of making a point?

Would you be able to confiscate their mobiles and use them as a deposit against return of the gear, perhaps?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Slightly different but the princible is the same. I supplied all the crockery for the staff to eat grom in the shop. Some took to not doing their dishes. So each unwashed plate I cleaned and stored in my locker 'till no cups or plates were left. They then moaned that they had nothing to have their lunch on. They only got them back with.a solem promise to do their own dishes in future. You could do something similar with the camping gear.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE