Mini-Kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I have carved a small kuksa that I plan to use for whisky when out and about. It was mainly a try-out for a bigger one that I want to carve. I think that for a larger one I might want to use embers for the hollow, because my Mora-spoonknives leave a mess behind at some angles. Here are some pictures of the WIP and the finished product. All comments welcome.

IMAG0311.jpg

IMAG0312.jpg

The finished product:
IMAG0315.jpg

IMAG0316.jpg

IMAG0317.jpg

So, now I need to oil it with something that doesn`t make my whisky taste funny. I have sunflowerseed-oil, would that work?

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Great little kuksa.

I have no wide experience on different oils, but I do know that if you use walnut oil, it will eventually polymerise - leaving a hard, non-tainting barrier. Really not sure on sunflower.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks guys :)

I am not sure about the wood really. I picked up a branch from a pile in a park here. I think it might be chestnut but it could be something else as well. I still have a piece I could take pictures of if desired.

So, that walnut oil is the stuff you`d find in a supermarket? I don`t know Tesco, I think we don`t have them on this side of the water.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
So, that walnut oil is the stuff you`d find in a supermarket? I don`t know Tesco, I think we don`t have them on this side of the water.

Tesco don't need any more custom, although give 'em a few more years...

Yup, usual food grade oils are ideal for items to be used as eating/drinking utensils. There are some food grade oils that will go rancid, so steer away from things like vegetable oil. Just learning about different finishes including oils and these two links may give you some good starters: Link 1, Link 2. (There are no doubt many good links and information on the web and in many books, these were just 2 pages I felt had good info from experienced people.)

Last edited:
That's a great idea Two Socks, a "shotsa"

I'm wanting to make a kuksa, have been for a while, but too scared I think. Now I've seen your piece, I think I'll start small. Then if the full size one goes wrong, I can keep filling the small one with shots. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE