Millets tipi question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
HI all,

Now I know this is going back to an old thread, but one of my explorer scouts has bought the tipi sold by millets. A lot of dicussion was going about how good or bad these were, but I recall some of you were " modifing " them to make them better. Was wondering if any one has altered the tipi and how they did it so I can pass on the info to my scout.

thanks, miniac

B

brasst

i also bought one but have not tested it yet after putting it up in the garden i realised that the skin didnt stand straight, so i cut a piece of 4 x 4 post approx 2" deep and placed it under the centre pole which straightened the sides up nicely which should shed water more easily thus preventing problems of water ingress.
havent tested it yet but will be taking it out this w/end, so will see if it works.

it is the easiest and cheapest mod to make.a flat rock on site would suffice .if all goes well its the only mod to make which is what i personally think is the flaw with these but will keep you posted on results

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I've purchased one of these and like brasst it;s only gone up in the garden at the moment.

Also like brasst the only mod is a piece of timber to go under the centre pole.

Additional mods I'm thinking of are;

loop at the top so it can be suspended from a tree, thus eliminating the pole when circumstances permit

I'm also interested in how I can fit a suitable chimney hole for using a fire box inside the tipi. Not sure yet what to use to ensure the nylon doen't melt etc, so welcome any suggestions.

david

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
I have not seen the tipi up yet only seen piccies from the millets web site. I am running a skills day at our local campsite an the lad asked if he could put it up on site so we can have a look. That will not be till the end of the month. I gathered from the original thread that the pole seems to be to short, but as you guys have said a flat rock or lump of wood will cure that. Do the tipi's have a smoke opening? as I am sure he would like a small fire inside especailly as he has seen my tentipi in action with a lovely warm fire in it :D

Thanks for the returns guys....... :thanks:

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
miniac,

No smoke opening. The top part of the tipi proper is mossie netting with an external cover that is adjustable to improve ventilation. There maybe sufficient updraft to allow smoke to escape but probably not fast enough to avoid suffocation.

David

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I have modded mine and put in a wood burning stove.
I cut out the crappy heavy groundsheet it sits much better without it.
I never use the massively heavy steel pole I use wood from where I camp, this gives me built in hooks to hang things on.
Fabsealed the whole outside, seam sealed inside and sewed in 3 layers of fireblanket to make the chimney port in the side of the tent structure, not the top opening, about 10 inch by 10 inch patch to be on the safe side.
I was out for five days, three of those it poured down and it was as tight as a drum.
The fire blanket works well, just slightly chared but apart from that it's ok.
I bought one just to try a teepe out and I'm hooked looking at a tentipi now for winter use at christmas in Finland!
For £60 it's good with a few mods but the material is not the strongest and I wouldn't trust it under snow.

Reactions: Toddy
S

Selous

Golite do a fantastic looking tipi called the hex 3. I've craved one for ages. You can buy them from ebay direct from America, for about "£130, I believe. I don't think they are recommended for use with a stove, or fire, though. They have a lightweight aluminium pole, and detachable floor with mosi net. Anybody got any views on these?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Selous said:
Golite do a fantastic looking tipi called the hex 3. I've craved one for ages. You can buy them from ebay direct from America, for about "£130, I believe. I don't think they are recommended for use with a stove, or fire, though. They have a lightweight aluminium pole, and detachable floor with mosi net. Anybody got any views on these?

Great tent, very waterproof, stable in wind, great bit of kit all round, go get one :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Selous said:

Great tent but save money by buying a mozzie net from Ikea as they fit perfectly in the hex 3, if not a little long!!

tecNik

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2006
Leicestershire, UK
deadfish.co.uk
Brendan said:
I have modded mine and put in a wood burning stove.
I cut out the crappy heavy groundsheet it sits much better without it.
I never use the massively heavy steel pole I use wood from where I camp, this gives me built in hooks to hang things on.
Fabsealed the whole outside, seam sealed inside and sewed in 3 layers of fireblanket to make the chimney port in the side of the tent structure, not the top opening, about 10 inch by 10 inch patch to be on the safe side.
I was out for five days, three of those it poured down and it was as tight as a drum.
The fire blanket works well, just slightly chared but apart from that it's ok.
I bought one just to try a teepe out and I'm hooked looking at a tentipi now for winter use at christmas in Finland!
For £60 it's good with a few mods but the material is not the strongest and I wouldn't trust it under snow.

Any photos? I'd love to see how this looks.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
I might be bumping this up un-neccesarily but regarding the installation of a stove and chimney, is there a way to use the steel pole supplied as the chimney?

- or better - get a chimney that's strong enough to support the tipi on a rigging wire 'crows nest' at the top and with a T piece somewhere near the bottom where a shorter flue from the stove would go?

would this obviate the need to carry both, the flue would issue from the apex and not from the side, the outlet would be well clear of the tent fabric and could carry some form of cowling. the stove stays central and out the way..........

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Brendan,
Fantastic modification there mate.
I hope you won't mind if I follow your example.... I just have to find a Millets somewhere near.....

ATB

Ogri the trog

kai055

Forager
Dec 29, 2006
Hornchurch
brenda, have u got any pics of ur moded tepee cos i know miniac and he has suggested some but im not sure if they will work

lloyd

:Thinkingo

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Just found another pic if anyone thinking of doing the same thing Stove Pipe
I didn't put the pipe through the center because it looked too complicated going through the mesh and cap and fireproofing both.
These Kifaru stoves can get so hot, the fire box and a foot or so up the pipe glow red.
With this in mind I didn't want to risk not fireproofing the pipe exit point properly.
I used a sewing machine to sew in the fire patch but I did have a bit of a mess up and had to unpick some stitching but it still looks ok and the main thing is that it works and seems totally waterproof.
As I have said previously the millets Tepee is a good cheap way of trying one out but I really need one slightly bigger and taller and green preferably hence now going for a Tinde 4 from Bison.
If you missed the group buy like myself you can get one for about £155 inc postage to the UK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE