Midlands meet up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I'm thinking about planning a meet up in the Coventry area and wanted to guage interest.
I'm looking at a small scale event, fri night till sat night. I don't have any skills to share so if there's something you would be able to teach a group and would like to come then let me know, if not then we it can just be an opportunity to meet up, share ideas, stories and show equipment. I'm thinking about early October.
Cheers
Heath

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I will try and come, although will need to get "permission" from you know who...

as for skills i dont have much to teach but well up for sitting round a fire and learning some from fellow enthusiasts!!!

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
How's about just a daytime one to initially meet and kick things off - day-packs and stove compulsory. That way the necessary passes and permits of domestic absence should be easier to obtain for the first get together.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
If you're thinking of the scout campsite on Tanners Lane I know it .....erm.....quite well :D . Because it's a scout campsite CRB clearance could be an issue. I've got the number of the sites booking secretary somewhere, would you like me to dig it out and give him a quick call to find out if no CRB is a big No, No ?. When it comes to booking (If it is the same site you're thinking of and if given the o.k) you want Pocket Site 11 (approx 160ft x 200ft) which is the site's backwoods and basic camping area.

Fae Eyes

Mar 2, 2006
Thaxted
Hi All,

CyclingRelf and a few of the locals quite often have a bushcrafting meet up at Rough Close in Coventry.

We've been meaning to organise another one, after the July one fell through, but the cousins and I have been a bit busy recently.

I think I can speak for the three of us to say that we'd be interested if you organised something though :)

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Why would we need a CRB if we aren't training or taking care of any organised kids like the scouts?

I'm sure that it won't be a problem, most people have a CRB through work anyway even if we do need one... which I can't imagine that we will.

I'm looking forward to this now XD.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi Michelle, a good and valid question. CRB clearance is there to try to protect any child on site - not just the ones that I/you/we may have on site with us. In the end you have to remember that some people like children 'wrongly' and a CRB check 'should' highlight a person known to be an offender - remember you'd effectively be unsupervised on a 40+ acre site with kids running around.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Good point, I didn't think of that.

My CRB is up for renewal at the mo so I'm hoping we don't need one as it takes ages for the bloody things to come through.

skint

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2007
Leicestershire
I would hope to come to this as it's the closest I have heard of to me. May bring some of the family along too.

I don't know what a CRB is but I'm fairly sure I dont have one???

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
I don't know what a CRB is but I'm fairly sure I dont have one???

CRB = Criminal Records Burea [Check]

If you are in a full time, part time or volunatary work that can bring you into contact with children or young people you are required to have a CRB check carried out. An employer will pay for the check, however on a persoanl level you would need to pay for your own.

Other jobs are affected also but these are reasonably limited.

You cannot just go and get a CRB because you feel like it the CRB people got very antsy about it around 18 months ago. What happened was many employers were using it as a means of checking out staff and potential staff, this overloaded the system and people like Student Nurses, Student Doctors and trainee social workers were being held up from working.

I would advise that if you need one to do bushy things you contact the site that you might attend and ask them to provide you with a letter saying you are going to be in an environment that brings you into contact with children and young people and the organisers need you to have a CRB done.

Hope that helps.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I've used rough close campsite a few times now for church youth groups, as a teacher I have a crb but I don't think it's a problem anyway. There have always been other adult leaders that did not have a crb check. Now I know that there is enough interest to warrant organising a meet i will contact the site to find out.

So does anyone have any suggestions about what we could do at the meet. Anyone have any bushcraft skills they would be willing to share?

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
I've used rough close campsite a few times now for church youth groups, as a teacher I have a crb but I don't think it's a problem anyway. There have always been other adult leaders that did not have a crb check. Now I know that there is enough interest to warrant organising a meet i will contact the site to find out.

So does anyone have any suggestions about what we could do at the meet. Anyone have any bushcraft skills they would be willing to share?

I would'nt mind learning fire by friction - bow & drill - if anyone knows how and can show & tell.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE