Midge repellent recommend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 3, 2016
melrose
We have a cottage on Skye and agree a good jacket / head net are a must especially for gardening! We've always used Repel, I think now called Trek Midge and the company that does that make really good nets aswell

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've had mixed results but tend to stick with a few favourites, Wilmas Nordic Summer, Smidge, Avon SSS and Autan. There are times though when nothing will work and I reach for the Beatons jacket, they pack to nothing and my size large only weighs 86g.

It's not usually the biting that bothers me but it's the sheer number of them, they get everywhere. The worst spells I've experienced have been on west coast canoeing trips, dusk and dawn being particularly bad, once the sun high enough they disappear, but the dull and damp days can be horrific.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
PDA1,
Have you tried picaridin? There is some info that its as good as DEET and without the plastic melting and toxicity.

Are midges prevalent in May? When I was in Knoydart in June they were only really just starting. Had a few around, enough that we used repellent and a head net, but I have seen them a lot thicker in July.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Get a load of garlic into your diet, this along with smidge and taking strong anti-histamines for hayfever means midges never seem to bother me.

Tonyuk

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
The most effective over here is Deet. (chemical name, N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide

I think DEET has had its day as saltidin/icaridin/bayrepel/picaridin would currently seem to be as effective in tests but with the advantage that it appears very safe for humans and it doesn't dissolve plastics.

I personally use Smidge but there are now a range of alternatives which all use the same chemical (saltidin) and they do work. Over last season I was out in some really remarkable midge conditions and while they are annoying getting into your food, eyes, ears, nose etc. I wasn't actually bitten where I'd applied the Smidge. I wouldn't be without it now.

This, for example, is an attempt to make tea in June:

this is a shot of them against the sky:

and this was making breakfast one morning:

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
Looks as if I need to update my anti bug supplies.

I would say that if you are still using a DEET based midge repellent then at the very least you need to give some of the other options a try.

I currently use Smidge which is based on Picaridin (This substance has so many names it is hard to keep track) and it just simply works in the sense that any area to which I apply it is completely devoid of insect bites plus it reduces the number of ticks I pick up as well, though that is hard to quantify. To be honest I find it more effective than DEET based repellents but, again, this is hard to quantify. The one big positive with Picaridin/Saltidin etc. is that it doesn't melt plastic stuff. Now modern DEET preparations say they've reduced this problem but when you are out a lot in midgy conditions it is hard to see that having the plastic bits melt off your car in one week, or in three weeks, offers any improvement :)

One thing I will say is that Smidge stops midges from biting you, it doesn't stop them from flying around you or getting in your food or... A lot of people, especially those with relatively low exposure to midges, seem to be at least as annoyed by the presence of the flies and not just the bites and so they sometimes report that repellents don't work well just because they've seen a midge fly around their head. Even with Smidge the midges will sometimes land on your hands, for example, it is just that they fly off again without biting. Headnets and the like offer an advantage in these circumstances but there are some things you can't do, or can't easily do, while wearing a head net.

Hopefully I'm going to get the chance to test a new (at least to me) product this coming midge season as it is always interesting to see how things progress and testing is relatively easy - cover one had with Smidge and cover the other with the new product and sit under a tree :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have been descended on in the past n that time I was glad I had my net n gloves for no repellent would have helped.i'm thinking more along the lines of everyday use early morning etc.this stupidly simple? You've tried it it works?

It does work, and fine for camping when you'll smell a bit smoky anyway. Not so good if you don't like that tarry scent. It's also quite a hard waxy product making liberal application a bit of a pain. I couple it with lemon eucalyptus.

Mind you, we don't have midges anything like Scotland, it's

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
My father swore by a pipe. The midges hate pipe smoke. Funnily enough the old folks used to recommend mugwort (a plant used agin the midge) and sweet gale (bog myrtle) for burning and smoking when the blighters were around.
Mugwort burns with a beautiful white smoke, and there's a lot of it too, pleasant scented as well.
Nowadays though all smoke is contraindicated :sigh:
If it gets desperate, it works though.

M
Your Dad was a wise man. I go bat watching near Drumlanrig Castle some evenings (at the bridge you cross going to it, 2/3 species, flying above you & below you) and have stood in a fog of midges, smoking a bowl & left alone, but conscious they were going to have me when the pipe runs out :D

Only new to this but where would be the best place to buy Smidge?

The big Tescos in Dumfries stocks it, so I'd imagine others would too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE