Michael May knives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
https://michaelmayknives.com/

Who has one or has used one of his knives? For 70~100£, he is priced pretty close to a lot of the Lambsfoot knives I see on the web from common sources. Heck, my J. Adams was ~$60USD at my door from a reseller that carries a lot of Sheffield knives.

For a pseudo-custom or bespoke knife, his prices are certainly close to what I would pay in the USA for a Spyderco or entry level Benchmade knife which sets a really high standard for general qualities in a factory knife. I'm obviously looking at this Lambsfoot knives but, the Oyster knife looks pretty good too!

Who else in the 100£ range make a good knife similar to this?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
He‘s based at Portland Works. This is one of the oldest Sheffield works, renovated by a volunteer team including Stu Mitchell and Grace Horne. Anything coming out of there is likely to be very high quality.

Sorry I can’t answer your question about other makers producing similar knives, much as I appreciate the Sheffield type knife, it’s never really been my thing, preferring a more modern look.

Reactions: sidpost

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
If you go to his site and look at the lambsfoot he has there. See the point on the spine of the knife where the blade meets the spring? See there's no gap? Kind of a quality sign. Other things might let the piece down - walk/talk, scales etc. of course - and I should say that I have some beezer knives where that area is a bit shoddy. But, in all its a sign :) O1 blade, too. Nice. You might ask for pics of the one he intends to sell you.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
If you go to his site and look at the lambsfoot he has there. See the point on the spine of the knife where the blade meets the spring? See there's no gap? Kind of a quality sign. Other things might let the piece down - walk/talk, scales etc. of course - and I should say that I have some beezer knives where that area is a bit shoddy. But, in all its a sign :) O1 blade, too. Nice. You might ask for pics of the one he intends to sell you.
I looked at a few of them, they all seem to have no gap and good tolerances where scales meet the liners too. Consistent quality of manufacture, nice prices, trad maker, old heritage factory. All quite comforting I think.

• Love
Reactions: sidpost

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I looked at a few of them, they all seem to have no gap and good tolerances where scales meet the liners too. Consistent quality of manufacture, nice prices, trad maker, old heritage factory. All quite comforting I think.

That's what I am looking for! The sterile modern slipjoints have their appeal to a lot of people but, I'm really looking for more of an 'old world' classic feel so, a Lambsfoot with classic construction seems to be one of the better options for me. I also want a good user and one that will be in my pocket when I ride my Triumph Speed Triple 1200 RR so, I UK focused at the moment.

The straight edge of the Lambsfoot and Wharcliffe blades also works really well for me when I'm an urban environment so, that is the main reason I'm not looking for a more classic Barlow/Clip point shape.

Reactions: Billy-o

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Hmm, reading this post just cost me seventy quid :lmao::lmao:. Money well spent though I hope :cool3:
Which one did you get? Is it with 01 steel or one of his other options?

I'm working to commission a 9cm Lambsfoot in either AEB-L or SF100 with Rams Horn possibly. Probably looking at ~$150USD shipped give or take a bit with final details to be worked out.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Waiting for him to get back into the shop and look for some Rams Horn. If not, I will probably go with Bog Oak but there are some other woods that look really sharp. Looking forward to some SF100 Sheffield goodness as well.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Does anyone have any recent contact with Michael? It has been ~10 days with unanswered emails and I am beginning to worry if he might be affected by the Ukraine war.

I'm hoping the people that picked up knives from his website have heard from him.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Does anyone have any recent contact with Michael? It has been ~10 days with unanswered emails and I am beginning to worry if he might be affected by the Ukraine war.

I'm hoping the people that picked up knives from his website have heard from him.
You could try contacting Stu Mitchell. I’m sure he knows Michael, maybe he can tell you why there’s been no contact.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Stu Mitchell was a great resource! Thanks!

Finally heard from Michael and confirmed he has some Ram's Horn. I think my email replies are probably in his SPAM filter because I had to contact him through his webpage again.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Stu Mitchell was a great resource! Thanks!

Finally heard from Michael and confirmed he has some Ram's Horn. I think my email replies are probably in his SPAM filter because I had to contact him through his webpage again.
Glad to hear you got it sorted, pics of the knife when you get it?

So, when are you getting your first Mitchell knife then? ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE