Men of Inspiration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Defoe was French, but Robinson Crusoe was based on the true story of a Scotsman.
Just checked my facts, Defoe was indeed an Englishman. :)
Robinson Crusoe's father was a kraut from Bremen, Will the Moscito (different spellings of name exist) was before him on the same island like Alexander Selkirk...
my additions for this list would be William Dampier (involved in story above, has town + peninsula in W.A. named after him), John Mc Douall Stuart, "bush tucker man" Les Hiddins and Gallipoli sniper Billy Sing from the country of all countries (a.k.a. "Australia" )
did i miss something or has Ray Mears not been mentioned in this thread?!
if (possibly) fictional people are o.k. Robin Hood should go on the list, too

edit: i'm hanging my head in shame for (almost) forgetting Matthew Flinders and Malcolm Douglas...

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Robinson Crusoe's father was a kraut from Bremen, Will the Moscito (different spellings of name exist) was before him on the same island like Alexander Selkirk...
my additions for this list would be William Dampier (involved in story above, has town + peninsula in W.A. named after him), John Mc Douall Stuart, "bush tucker man" Les Hiddins and Gallipoli sniper Billy Sing from the country of all countries (a.k.a. "Australia" )
did i miss something or has Ray Mears not been mentioned in this thread?!
if (possibly) fictional people are o.k. Robin Hood should go on the list, too

edit: i'm hanging my head in shame for (almost) forgetting Matthew Flinders and Malcolm Douglas...

I'd rather keep it to REAL people over fictional people before Batman gets a nomination.

And to reiterate this is OPEN TO FEMALE ENTRIES NOW.

Reactions: santaman2000
their home country isn't part of the commonwealth but given they serve in the UK there's one entire group/ unit which should be on this list, too: the gurkhas
further suggestions would be:William Adams (=the inspiration for James Clavell's character "John Blackthorne" in "shogun"), David Stirling, Horatio Nelson, Jan Smuts, Arthur Shepard (spelling may be incorrect) -- an Australian soldier who spent the entire war hiding in the southeast Asian jungle with chinese guerillas, continuing to fight the Japanese rather than following the order (of his british superiors) to surrender...

more recent history: Craig Harrison and the Aussie who bested his record 2 1/2 years later, Carl Bushby and Ed Stafford

they were born when the us were still a British colony, so i'm not sure if Daniel Boone and John Colter qualify for the list...

Truganini was born on Bruny Island which is nowadays part of the land Down Under so imho she should be able to qualify?!

edit: if people who were born elsewhere but became British citizens would be qualifying for this list i'd add Hiram Maxim and Gustav von Tempsky. the former one should be well known, the latter was of some importance in 19th century New Zealand and "svord" still makes a knife named after him (which "Kiwi Bushman" Josh James used in some of his tv-shows )

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE