Medicine Survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
Many moons ago, my father was a bank manager in a less well off area of Manchester. Every few months he had a "traveller" customer come in the branch and he often asked to see the manager. Ofer his time ther ehe had many conversations with the traveller and one of them relates quite nicely to the original thread.

Alledgedly, the traveller had not required medical attention for almost 2 decades. He put this down to the fact that he "cleansed" his sinuses as part of his daily hygene practices. I do not recollect the tale involving salt, just water. I suppose it makes sence, ma great many of the common bugs are transmitted through airbourne mechnisms, if we breath through the nose, it does not take much to guess how they get in.....

It is a cure / defense I have never really tried in earnest until this winter, and i am still using it in an attempt to rid myself of the mother of all colds...... It is uncomfortable (still), but strangly refreshing after the disscomfort fades.

I have also found that if you slice an onion really thin, sprinkle a decent amount of brown sugar on it and leave overnight. The juices leeched out of the onion by the sugar makes a great cough / anti catargh syrup.

I have tried this one on many an occaision and it works for me. You can not overdose on it and it does not taste that bad either.

And on the urine front, a sore throat aint usually that bad to live with.... certainly not that bad!! :)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
RovingArcher said:
Adding chewed Tobacco will help to draw the venom out from a bee sting.

Or if you swallow the chewed up tobacco (about a single fag's worth) then you will stun your tape worms long enough to "poo" them out. :eek:):

Of you could just drink a shed load of locally made Thai whiskey and that seemed to have the desired effect on mine!

Actually while I'm talking Tape Worms (and I mainly mean beef ones here as fish and pork can be quite nasty)..... I never knew I had it until it came out while relieving myself one day and I found it buy hand (see...lot to be said for wiping the native way)....I should have guessed as i was eating 4 to 5 full main meals a day and still dropped from 14 stone to 10 stone in six weeks.....but then I'm just thinking "Hey...it's all this fresh veg I'm eating...I must be soooo healthy".
Anyway, the point is: I was thinking, if they could genetically modify a beef tape worm to live for 6 months and then die you could make millions and millions of pounds over night..... The first truly working "eat as much as you like and still lose heaps of weight diet". ! ! !
So presumably if the eating a ciggy trick works then we could do that....and just to show you all how nice I am I'd buy BCUK a nice big wood for us all to play in!!!!!! :eek:):

"This time next year Rodney, we'll be........." :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Moonraker said:
Thanks Abbe, I may not drink my own wee but I found the info very interesting :biggthump

Don't drink it!!!!!!!!Gargle and spit it out!! If you drink it you do harm to your kidneys!!! But friends I like to say that this comes handy if you Don't get medicine, I heard that in a survival teaching and tested it. It did the job for me but it is not the thing I like to do a lot for the fun of it. :yikes:

cheers
Abbe

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Jak, your remedy reminds me of a risqué story: my friend was lying asleep on our local beach, and his girlfriend and her mates descended upon him and tried to steal his trunks (girls :roll: ). They succeeded eventually, and made him chase after them to get them - yes naked - before deciding to throw them over a hedge. He runs, dives over the hedge... straight into a huge patch of nettles! :rolmao:

Moonraker, you're quite right. We must also remember that professional medical opinion changes all the time - that's for example why you have to redo first aid courses frequently. And that folk medecine, while it may be placebo or hearsay, does have two advantages - you'll find it out in the bush, and it's based on thousands of years of practice.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Abbe Osram said:
Don't drink it!!!!!!!!Gargle and spit it out!! If you drink it you do harm to your kidneys!!! But friends I like to say that this comes handy if you Don't get medicine, I heard that in a survival teaching and tested it. It did the job for me but it is not the thing I like to do a lot for the fun of it. :yikes:

cheers
Abbe

Here is some info on urine which may help to clarify this:

Though many have been conditioned to think of urine as “dirty,” quite the opposite is true. Except in the case of a urinary tract or kidney infection, urine fresh from the urethra is sterile, devoid of any pathogens. Urine is 95 percent water, with less than five percent urea, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, hormones, proteins, antibodies, and other beneficial pharmacological agents.
Contrary to popular belief, urine is actually a by-product of blood filtration and not waste filtration. Medically, it is referred to as “plasma ultrafiltrate.” It is a purified derivative of the blood itself, made by the kidneys whose principal function is regulation of all the elements and their concentrations in the blood. Nutrient-filled blood passes through the liver where toxins are removed to be excreted as solid waste. Eventually, this purified blood undergoes a more extensive filtering process in the kidneys, where excess components not usable at that time by the body are collected in the form of the sterile, watery solution that is urine.
Far from being harmful, urine contains known healing agents. Clinical studies have proven that the thousands of critical body chemicals and nutrients that end up in urine reflect the individual body’s functions. When re-utilized, these chemicals and nutrients act as natural vaccines, antibacterial, antiviral and anticarcinogenic agents as well as hormone balancers and allergy relievers.
For example, melatonin, present in significant amounts in urine, is a natural hormone that has already been proven to help regulate sleep. Muramyl dipeptide, another natural hormone found in urine, mirrors the calming action of serotonin. If wishing to enhance fertility, one could drink urine high in a specific hormonal content.

An important component of urine is urea, a commonly recognized antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral agent. The presence of urea in the urine results from the body’s chemical balancing of the sodium chloride and water ratio. When used on a wound, urea causes an osmotic imbalance inside bacteria and fungi that utlimately kills them. Due to its effectiveness, urea is used in many topical ointments and creams sold pharmaceutically, both prescription and over-the-counter. Urea is found in a broad range of medicines used to treat inflammation and is a main ingredient in Herpigon, a medicine used to treat herpes infections. Additionally, urine can smooth and moisturize the skin. Face creams or wrinkle removers most likely contain urea or a derivative of it.
source: Berkeley Medical Journal-Urine Therapy. Drinking urine - an ancient therapeutic practice revisited. Fall 2002

“Certainly in small volumes, provided it is not infected with germs, there is probably no hazard in drinking [urine]. But if you started drinking significant volumes of your own urine, then essentially your recycling your own waste products - you’re not excreting them permanently.”
source: as above quoting Robert Farnsworth M.D., leading urologist at Australia’s Prince of Wales and Prince Henry Hospitals

I think her summary is spot on:

Urine may or may not be the golden fountain of youth. It may or may not be the elixir of good health. Often, there are broad, sweeping claims made by proponents of almost every therapeutic modality, but there is no therapy that can meet claims of 100 percent success. Despite the first impression that the Western mind often has of seeing the modern practice of urine therapy as antiquated at the least, or revolting at the most, its value need not be immediately dismissed. However, it is up to the people to decide if it is right for them.
There is a lighthearted but informative article here:

Rotten.com - Drinking Pee

Check out the first image. It appears it has other effects too :eek:):

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Moonraker, thanks a lot for the great info. Looks like you saved my skin here. :wink: don't want to get across as a pervert.
I didn't know about all the medic stuff I only got the tip from a extreme Survivalist. When the time came I tried it out and it worked ....for me. :eek:):

cheers and thanks
Abbe

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
It can't be that bad for you because I saw it being used in a competition on TV where each time they got a question right they had to take a slug of their own pee. I can't imagine them getting away with it if it is harmful.

Martin

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
shinobi said:
It can't be that bad for you because I saw it being used in a competition on TV where each time they got a question right they had to take a slug of their own pee. I can't imagine them getting away with it if it is harmful.

Martin

I dont know much about Sea Survival but what I was reading is that they warn people not to drink in desperation their own pee, dont remember why. I only remember not to do it because it would affect the kidneys. I should read it up again.

But.... well....gargle is ok but not fun :yikes:

cheers
Abbe

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Yes, I think it is because you do not gain any fluids by drinking it as the same amount of water is required - or more - to pee it out again. It's essential to urinate to get rid of the harmful nitrates/ammonia (can't remember which), so if more have built up you will actually lose fluid by drinking your urine. And if you hold it in you will literally burn yourself, as it does nasty things to your insides. :shock:

Off topic, is sea water as bad at keeping you hydrated? I know it's bad but surely if you drink enough you will have enough water to keep you alive. :?:

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
HI as far as i no the reason you can not drink salt water is your body has to maintain a balance of salts so the moor salt water you drink you have to drink even moor fresh water to get the balance back or your kidneys give up.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
mal said:
HI as far as i no the reason you can not drink salt water is your body has to maintain a balance of salts so the moor salt water you drink you have to drink even moor fresh water to get the balance back or your kidneys give up.
Even if you did balance salt water with fresh water eventually the load of salt would kill you anyway.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Adi007 said:
Even if you did balance salt water with fresh water eventually the load of salt would kill you anyway.
I saw or heard somewhere that 2 glasses of saltwater, make that around 4-5 dl, would kill a man. :shock:

D

DOC-CANADA

Hi All;

Being a new guy, I don't know if this has been addressed or not, but I'm sure you're all aware that common names for plants vary as to district. Considering this is international in scope, would it not be efficacious to use binomials (genus and species) especially when dealing with wild foods or medicines?

Just a thought,

:p DOC-CANADA :p

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
DOC-CANADA said:
Hi All;

Being a new guy, I don't know if this has been addressed or not, but I'm sure you're all aware that common names for plants vary as to district. Considering this is international in scope, would it not be efficacious to use binomials (genus and species) especially when dealing with wild foods or medicines?

Just a thought,

:p DOC-CANADA :p
I usually give the common name and the botanical name in my posts as I understand the problem and it aids identification across languages as you say. I use the British common name (often there are more than one of these but usually there is a commonly accepted version) on BCUK simply because more people understand what you are talking about :wink: and add the botanic name for those that understand these or wish to research further.

I also try to avoid scientific terms like 'biomials' and try to keep my English simple and avoid words like 'efficacious' for the same reason of considering the non native speaking members and aid clarity of communication :)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Doing a quick google search on a plants common name usualy comes up with a referance to its latin name from which you can research further.

:)
Ed

D

DOC-CANADA

Moonraker said:
..... but usually there is a commonly accepted version...

I'm not familiar with the circumstance in Europe, but here, in Canada, your suggestion would not necessarily work. For example, my first bow is made of Ironwood. Even if you spoke to somebody right here in my city that was knowledgable about trees, he couldn't tell you, with certainty, what tree it is because we have 2 Ironwoods (Ostrya virginiana and Carpinus caroliniana).

Secondly, on public plant hikes I've done, I have people calling Cattails (Typha spp.), Bulrushes (Scirpus spp.). In fact, I think more people called them Bulrushes even though Cattails is the commonly accepted term.

So, in the previous 2 examples, a Google search would be inconclusive.

Regarding the other matter, ("avoid words like 'efficacious'") I plead guilty to being 58 and sometimes the right word doesn't come immediately, but efficacious did. I will keep your suggestion in mind, in the future.

:p Doc :p

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
DOC-CANADA said:
Moonraker said:
..... but usually there is a commonly accepted version...

I'm not familiar with the circumstance in Europe, but here, in Canada, your suggestion would not necessarily work. For example, my first bow is made of Ironwood. Even if you spoke to somebody right here in my city that was knowledgable about trees, he couldn't tell you, with certainty, what tree it is because we have 2 Ironwoods (Ostrya virginiana and Carpinus caroliniana).

Secondly, on public plant hikes I've done, I have people calling Cattails (Typha spp.), Bulrushes (Scirpus spp.). In fact, I think more people called them Bulrushes even though Cattails is the commonly accepted term.

So, in the previous 2 examples, a Google search would be inconclusive.

Regarding the other matter, ("avoid words like 'efficacious'") I plead guilty to being 58 and sometimes the right word doesn't come immediately, but efficacious did. I will keep your suggestion in mind, in the future.

:p Doc :p
You are right of course that confusion may still reign when it comes to the use of common names for plants. It is why I tend to give both common and botanic version. But a lot of people will only refer to a plant by the name they know it as. So even if they take the time to look up the botanical version it may still be wrong. So the best way to check is to either have a decent identification book or check it out on the internet where you often find illustrated descriptions which should help, it is free to use and often quicker than leaving the computer :wink:

I admire your eloquence as I love words too :) But having been involved with Europian student organisations for a number of years I realised the importance of keeping language as simple as possible (and speaking slowly helps too). This is more true of written English where we often use idioms (sayings) which mean nothing to people in another country or even another village up the road from us :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE