medicinal uses of tobacco?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Years ago, while out, I cut my hand. It was quite deep & bled a lot. The old timer I was with told me to chew some baccy up and press it onto the cut & hold it! I did and it stopped bleeding quickly :) he said it had antiseptic and clotting properties.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It was widely available and widely used, *however* it wasn't the modern muck that's full of additives, humectants, essential oils, yadda,yadda, yadda.

Originally, and if you grow your own, tobacco was a herb.

These days it's big (enormous) business and not good for anything :sigh:

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nicotie in the system dilates blood vessels (or so I understand) perhaps you should not let the casualty smoke after major cuts/amputations!
The old British Army cure all was - 2 grains of Morphine, a cup of sweet tea and a ciggie...then "back to work you oribble little man!"

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I got some seeds from Caskwith (sp) on BB last year :) He's a member here too.

I don't smoke but I thought this would be interesting to try growing:cool:
Hopefully he'll see this thread :)

cheers,
M

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
For me, this is a strangely timed post ~ As of about the time of this post, I've not smoked for a year.

Now there's a thread pointing out the medicinal properties of the tobacco plant :rolleyes: :lmao: .

Nicotie in the system dilates blood vessels (or so I understand) perhaps you should not let the casualty smoke after major cuts/amputations!

John, just for you ...

KNOWN ADDITIVES USED IN THE MANUFACTURE OF CIGARETTES
>>> snip <<<

"All Natural" doesn´t means mean "All Tobacco".

Below is a list of more than 600 of the ingredients found in cigarettes.

>>>
Titanium
>>>
Source

:lmao: I've finally done it, I've finally found a ti product that Mr Fenna uses. :lmao:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For me, this is a strangely timed post ~ As of about the time of this post, I've not smoked for a year.

Now there's a thread pointing out the medicinal properties of the tobacco plant :rolleyes: :lmao: .

John, just for you ...

Source

:lmao: I've finally done it, I've finally found a ti product that Mr Fenna uses. :lmao:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

B

BrianM

Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, not a vasodilator. Still not a good idea to smaoke after a major cut/amputation as it makes circulation worse and increases shock and oxygen deficiency by narrowing the blood vessels.

Another medical use (in times long past) was in resuscitation; anal fumigation with tobacco smoke.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Gonna have to plant some next year now i've read this thread. I didn't know that it could be grown in our climate, but as the saying goes... you learn something new every day :)

Thanks chaps.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
Years ago, while out, I cut my hand. It was quite deep & bled a lot. The old timer I was with told me to chew some baccy up and press it onto the cut & hold it! I did and it stopped bleeding quickly :) he said it had antiseptic and clotting properties.

Any antiseptic properties it ever did have were removed when he stuck it in his gob and chewed it!

Tobacco was also used for breath freshening, virility, diabetes, reducing blood pressure, increasing blood pressure, pain relief, as a sedative, as a stimulant, as a sexual performance enhancer, as a social status indicator, as an expectorant, as a means of social control, as a drink among many, many, many other uses.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE