Materials for a tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Langers

May 13, 2009
Brighton
Hi I have a couple of tarps i bought off ebay some time ago, quite heavy, but highly waterproof.

Anyway they are too short really for my DD hammock and want to make a new tarp or 2.

And yes I will be making it myself before anyone asks. Dont want to get in trouble. No I wont be posting photos to prove it :) Sorry about the in-joke, couldnt resist.

I have read some posts about various fabrics, but nothing about the outcome.

I have a load of heavy duty (vehicle) parachute nylon from Denbigh Army Surplus but also quite like the idea of 200 thread count cotton/polycotton flat superking bedsheet.

So a couple of questions, has anyone made a tarp from either material. Was it waterproof enough, did it last. (Did the cotton go mildewy immedialty).

Has anyone used thompsons waterseal on cotton. Is the heavy duty parachute nylon, not the really thin human parachute stuff, good enough.

Do you think I am having a laugh and should buy some pu coated nylon...................

Not sure which way to go and dont really want to end up with another tarp i dont want. Although I could sell it cheap and get a load of abuse for it (there i go again)

Thanks

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
HI there Langers,

Not used the heavy duty parachute nylon only the thinner stuff. It works great, so I can't help but think the thicker stuff will be better, as far as waterproofing goes. I've used Thompsons Water Seal on my gear and it works too, although it needed a few coats and takes ages to air the smell away - I mean ages, a few weeks later and it was still a bit wiffy.. lol. If you have the the material and a sewing machine go for it, you really don't have much to lose except a few hours of sewing and playing with your new tarp. Not only that but the experience you get from it will be invaluable when you decide to make something else.. and you will.. :D If you're looking for cheap fabrics keep an eye on Frabris-n-Stuff they often have various ripstop nylons at very good prices.

Langers

May 13, 2009
Brighton
Thats encouraging. I would have thought normal parachute nylon too thin to be any good.

I really would recomend the heavier nylon. Relatively cheap, i have never made so much. List so far in the last month or two.
Stuff sacks
6 webbing tree huggers (i used the nylon for the protector sheath)
various drawstring bags for stoves, knives etc
Neck bag kids survival kit
V Large holdall for two rifle cases

Coming up: a couple of tarps, improved underblanket

I am still hoping to get advice on the cotton front, but am confident the nylon will be fine.

Thanks Nagual

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been under chutes on courses and they've always kept us dry, I'll be interested to hear how it goes and you've got to put some piccies up Langers.

What's in the kids survival kit, ear plugs and a bottle of brandy ? ;)

Langers

May 13, 2009
Brighton
Will get some pics together, i normally forget once i am up to arm pits in thread and fabric.

No, the kids survival kit was for them :) and included:

cotton wool
cheap firesteel
Small knife (from my old colleague Big Mark i am afraid ;-) )
whistle
choccy bar
pen and pencil
small colour print of a local area map (Dont tell OS)
Lightstick

Not Lofty Wiseman i know, but they loved em

Again good to hear that normal parachute nylon can do the job.

Langers

May 13, 2009
Brighton
Here is an example of something I made using the para nylon.

This is a large holdall for two rifle cases. Useful for the journey from home to car.
IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_07351.jpg

I utilised the strapping on the parachute to strengthen to edges. But it also saved me cutting them all off the panel. I stiffened the base and ends using an old german army sleeping mat. Just sewed it in. Put a long 'pocket' inside the lid. I also added a cheeky slit on the right hand side, through which i thread a bike cable lock, which is also threaded threough the rifle case handles, a useful way to temporarily secure the whole thing at the range without having to open the bag.

I used a domestic sewing machine with the extra thick thread that Pointnorth sell.

This is probably the biggest job I have done so far.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Theres a couple of people on here who've mucked about with cotton sheets as tarps
You'll need to get the search engine on it as it was quite a while back

I'd go with cotton (or linen) canvas myself......but then I'm a larper who hangs around with re-enactors and just love retro kit

Langers

May 13, 2009
Brighton
Thanks I did find a couple of posts but dont remember seeing any comments about how cotton fared after several uses.

Im concerned about water penetration with both fabrics, although less so with the nylon thanks to previous posts.

Still hankering after some natural action though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE