material for char clothe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was thinking about this and was going to do some experiments, however, it may be that you chaps already know the answers. I'm not asking about method, more material.

Should it be thick (t-shirt) or thin (pillow case)
Fluffy (tea towel) or smooth (muslin)
Should it be uniform (hankie) or could it be meshed (dish cloth)

Any experience?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I find that loosely woven cloth with a bit of thickness works best. (Think flat linen tea towel.)

I favour linen because it's authentic to the historical periods I work in but also because it seems to burn hotter when it catches imo.

Whatever cloth you use make sure it doesn't have synthetic fibre content as that seems to stop it working well.

My method is outlined here.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Woven material seems to work better than lock knit (T-shirt). This does not hold if the weave is too tight, like a sheet. The stuff that I have found to be best is stuff that has a slightly rough texture (so that sparks have somewhere to land and stick, rather than bounce off) and some thickness (easier to get a fluffy edge with exposed fibres). Denim, canvas and heavy calico have worked well for me.

Charred lampwick can be very good.

Dirk Diggler

Jan 19, 2009
Stockport
I find that loosely woven cloth with a bit of thickness works best. (Think flat linen tea towel.)

I favour linen because it's authentic to the historical periods I work in but also because it seems to burn hotter when it catches imo.

Whatever cloth you use make sure it doesn't have synthetic fibre content as that seems to stop it working well.

My method is outlined here.

Being very new to bushcraft i am still browsing the site and have followed the link to your site Wayland, i felt compelled to say what a fantastic site you have, i found the information and picture very inspiring.
Anyway sorry to hijack the thread like that, but i will also be trying to make some charcloth for the first time this coming week, i will now also be trying the beer can alcohol burner thanks to the excellent guide on your site.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Its my understanding that the mountain men used what we call, in this country, "ticking." I've heard it called "blue ticking" and "mattress ticking." I do not know what it is called in the U.K. Or if you ever used it for anything. Here it was a kind of coarse woven material, almost always encountered with narrow blue and white stripes. In years past it was used to cover mattresses. The mountain men used it for the "patches" used to place on the rifle ball prior to ramming it down the barrel. They probably used it because they had it and it worked, not necessarily that it was the absolute best thing.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I used an old pair of pants.
That does mean the smoke I breathe in is comprised of old knacker and crack sweat, mind you...

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Hi Steve,

Personally I tend to use towelling as I find that the looped texture catches a spark very easily. As everyone has said though, it has to be natural fibres so pure cotton towelling is ideal. I roll it up in an old boot polish tin and cook it till the smoke reduces.

boot_tin.jpg

The resulting char cloth seems to give off a tremendous amount of heat and most tinder will catch in no time.

Cheers,
Steve

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
chinkapin, 'ticking' was very common here once and used for mattresses too. It seems to have fallen out of use with the advent of modern fireproof materials. I think it was a heavyweight cotton and always with the blue or black stripes! :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Being very new to bushcraft i am still browsing the site and have followed the link to your site Wayland, i felt compelled to say what a fantastic site you have, i found the information and picture very inspiring.
Anyway sorry to hijack the thread like that, but i will also be trying to make some charcloth for the first time this coming week, i will now also be trying the beer can alcohol burner thanks to the excellent guide on your site.

Thank you very much, it's a bit of a hobby site really but it does give me somewhere to post my pictures from time to time.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I go on the theory that thicker material contains more charcoal and will generate more heat. I haven't tested this theory it just seems intuitive. If you use a coal extender its a moot point anyway because the coal quickly expands beyond the charcloth. I have had good success with denim, terrycloth, T-shirt, and cotton floor rags. Mac

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
As has already been stated, you can use any natural fiber clothe. The synthetics usually melt. And WELL WASHED. New material often has chemical sizing (and sometimes flame retardant) on it. So the more washed/used the clothe, the better it will work. That washing tends to expand and ... fuzz up ... the individual fibers in the fabric. All that finer fluffier texture in your charclothe helps catch a spark better.

Historically, written documentation for charclothe has not been found before the time of the American Civil War - 1860's. So it's use before then just isn't documented. Before that time, the most common way to catch a spark was with charred punky wood - like old coals from your last fire. But they also wrote about using Tinder Fungus (innonotus obliquus) directly off of the Birch tree without any other preparation, or slices of shelf mushrooms charred just like you do when making charclothe, and amadou (a shelf fungus layer soaked in potassium nitrate). Yes, they did know about charred clothe catching sparks before the 1860's, but it just hasn't shown up in any written form or artifacts before then. They knew about matchcord for a matchlock gun well back into the 1600's and before. They also knew and used tinder tubes in the early 1800's. But just didn't write down anything about charclothe earlier. And nobody has found any properly documented examples from earlier times. Plus no "tin" for making charclothe has been found either.

Just some of those ... pesky little details ... lost to history.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Wicca, thanks for letting me know that! As I was writing that post and used the word "ticking" I though to myself that nobody is going to know what in the world I'm even talking about. Was it George Bernard Shaw that said: Britain and America are two countries separated by a common language? I'm not positive who made the quote, but I was afraid it was going to apply. But, hey, in this case, it didn't, and we were on the same wavelength!

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Sometimes the odd common word crops up, chinkapin. :D I remember those old mattresses also had a filling which I'm sure was a by product of the industrial linen mills, a sort of wadding or padding which I recall would form into great compacted pieces and make the mattress as uncomfortable as sleeping on a sack of rocks!! It was known as "flocking" and the mattress had to be shaken and knocked about to even it out.

I was in a children's home from age 10 and my memory is, every Sunday morning we had to strip our beds and 'turn and beat' the mattresses, which as kids we thought was great fun..:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE