Map Reading/use of a compass?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Burt

Jan 16, 2005
South Lincolnshire
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know of any info online regarding using a simple map & compass? I have experience in using one, albeit a while ago and I am quite rusty! I cant seem to find anything anywhere near in depth.The places i looked can only tell you how to do a six figure grid....need a bit more.

Are there any military handbooks about?

Cheers All.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah I agree with Graham - Eric Langmuirs mountaincraft and leadership is an absolute must for anybody spending time outdoors. It`s well written and full of useful and practical information.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Burt said:

Cheers All.

I used to teach navigation to Scouts and their leaders, you would be suprised how many scout leaders cant navigate to save their lives, anyway I thought that I would brush up on the mils system as I had not used it for a while, so after searching the web for hours and found nothing I contacted my local Army barracks and asked if I could take a look at their manual, the very nice Staff Sargent actually lent this manual to me for four weeks, it comprised of FIVE A4 lever arch files cramed full of the relevenat info needed to teach this to an absolute beginner. :eek: Talk about confusing :confused: :confused:

The moral of this story is, stick to the suggested web site and forget the Military manuals. :) :) :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Burt said:
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know of any info online regarding using a simple map & compass? I have experience in using one, albeit a while ago and I am quite rusty! I cant seem to find anything anywhere near in depth.The places i looked can only tell you how to do a six figure grid....need a bit more.

Cheers All.
Ordanance survey do a reasonably priced CD ROM interactive tutorial. It comes with a map and you get practical things to try out and quiz's etc. Not everything but a good place to start

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
I have a few books covering navigation, as I used them in my previous job a great deal.

Eric Langmuirs Mountain Craft is very good, but there is a better book with more detail and description.

The book is called 'Map and Compass' (The art of Navigation) by Pete Hawkins. It is published by Cicerone. And retails @ £12 usually. To give you an idea of the content here are the chapter titles

1. Why Learn to navigate
2. Introducing the map
3. Map Detail
4. Grid Lines and References
5. Understanding Contours
6. Planning your Walks
7. Introducing the Compass
8. What do we mean by a Bearing
9. Walking with your Compass
10. Timing, Pacing and Other Techniques
11. On Getting Lost
12. Rain, Mist and Darkness
13. Navigating Abroad
14. GPS and Other technology
15. Further Practice

Each Chapter starts basic and goes into depth.

I would definately recommend this book to anybody who wants to gain, test or pass on skills in a methodical way.

You can find it much cheaper on Amazon last i looked it was from £6.94

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/1852843942/all/202-8294487-6727041

Good Luck, any questions fire away mate.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Burt,

I have another thought. Put "map compass quiz" into google and pick and choose the quizes that are at your level. That will focus you on what you need to know and you could then do some searches to find the answers.

Burt

Jan 16, 2005
South Lincolnshire
Cheers all,
Appreciate the help, I will try the freebie links first, then think about the book. The orienteering has sparked my interest, ages since I did any but I seem to remember enjoying it! (I might have a job finding an organisation in the flatlands though).:thanks:

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
I second the recommendation for the Pete Hawkins book. It's simple, very well illustrated, and covers the important stuff.

After reading it, you can take your compass to your local hill, with a copy of your relevant OS map and the book in a plastic bag, and practice hitting points selected off the map, like the corners of fences and sheep enclosures, that sort of thing.

S

Siecroz

Hi Burt

How in depth do you want to go?? Being a Staff Sergeant Instructor (cadets) myself I train and assess Map & Compass/Navigation on a regular basis. Copies of the Map & Compass manuals that were reffered too are sat in a box down in the cellar.

I might be able to sort something out for you :cool:

K

KenC

I was on the "Silva" website not too long ago, and I seem to remember really simple step-by-step (inc. diagrams) instructions for taking bearings etc.

Ken.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
I have some stuff on my computer if you want me to attach it to an email.
It is fairly detailed but it doesnt cover absolutely everything a book will.
I think it will help clear up the rust.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE