Mangled and abused words and phrases

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I hate the lazy and inappropriate use of "Amazing".

The Jubilee Flotilla down the Thames was a good example; every other pundit kept churning the word out!

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Those are the correct spellings over here now.......

i know mate, i was more commenting on the idea of trusting a signwriter to get things right, american english being the default setting on most software (cheers bill) is probably to blame for more spelling errors over here than anything else

....The mcDonald's phrase isn't really "permeating" everyday conversation but rather was taken from current everyday speech.

maybe on your side of the pond it is, but "i'm lovin' it" certainly wasn't a common phrase over here 'til maccie d's made it so :)

MattB

Jul 9, 2012
UK
I find it's much easier not to worry about the specifics and just hate everything about McDonalds.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
When my kids were younger, the youngest in particular - although to a lesser extent the others too - used to say "like" several times each sentence. Picking them up on it didn't work. However, after a while I just used to hold up a hand with a finger for each time they said "like". At first they didn't twig, but after a few times they picked up on it, and it used to drive them mad, particularly if they were with friends! But it worked:)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Because language gives an insight into what's important to a culture. For example the Eskimo have multiple words that all mean "snow" but each one denotes a different type of snow: a wet snow, a blowing snow, a packed snow, etc. because that's obviously important to their culture. Likewise many Mille Eastern languages have multiple words for sandstorms or winds because it's important to their culture. So what does the English lanquage (and other European languages) similarly reflect as important to our culture? Bourbon, scotch, tequila, rum, wine, beer, brandy, etc. All different words denoting different types of alcoholic beverages.

rain, mizzle, clag, downpour, cloudburst, precipitation, drizzle do for a start?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
What quite literally grates my soul is when the yoof of today walk round with their hands down the front of their TROUSERS (not pants, thank you very much!) trying to talk like black gangsters. Ali G was amusing when he first appeared on our screens, but it seems he may have strated off an epidemic of wannabes...

White working/middle class kids talking like black gangsters is referred to as 'Jafakin' (as in Fake Jamaican). Ayyyyyye!

And the whole walking-around-with-hands-down-pants thing is to do with the increased prevalence of sexually transmitted infections. I believe some of them can be quite itchy.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Blimey! How could I forget this one! When you look in any online or paper catalogue (not 'catalog') for outdoor trousers and they are referred to as 'pant' singular. As in "this is our brand new outdoor pant for all activities".

Pant? My dog does that. Pant? Do I only get one leg? I want both. Pants? Oh, I see! Like trousers? So why didn't you &@£**! say so, then?

You know who you are, Patagonia, North Face, Mountain Hardware, etc. You should be ashamed.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not over here, it wasn't.

Understood. But if not for McDonald's commercials, some other television program or movie would likely have brought it. The point is McDonald's didn't invent the phrase; that would be a rarity in advertising as they usually take their cues from the pop culture of their intended market. Although there are some notable exceptions such as the old lady asking, "Where's the beef!?" in the burger commercials from the 1960s.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
rain, mizzle, clag, downpour, cloudburst, precipitation, drizzle do for a start?

Raining :) stoatin', dreich, smirr, spitting, teeming, drookit, wringing wet, lashing, bucketing, haar.............and if it all comes down you maun end up drookit and ploutering through the glaur :rolleyes:

Aren't words fun ? :D

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Blimey! How could I forget this one! When you look in any online or paper catalogue (not 'catalog') for outdoor trousers and they are referred to as 'pant' singular. As in "this is our brand new outdoor pant for all activities".

Pant? My dog does that. Pant?...

That's another evolution. When I was a kid dogs didn't "pant", they "hasseled." Though that definition of hassle is in my older dictionary (circa 1965) it's been removed from modern ones and rarely heard even among younger dog breeders and vets now.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Raining :) stoatin', dreich, smirr, spitting, teeming, drookit, wringing wet, lashing, bucketing, haar.............and if it all comes down you maun end up drookit and ploutering through the glaur :rolleyes:

Aren't words fun ? :D

cheers,
Toddy

True Mary but many of those words are adjectives (or used as such) to describe rain and are used to also describe many other things as well. They're not a proper word soley naming a type of rain.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
now toddy words and especially frases facinate me due to many modern frases come from navel terms

for instantance

posh

cant swing a cat in here

let the cat out the bag

dont spill the beens

and there are many more but i just cant think of them right now. Now the reason for the fasination is that i love navel history

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
now toddy words and especially frases facinate me due to many modern frases come from navel terms

for instantance

posh

cant swing a cat in here

let the cat out the bag

dont spill the beens

and there are many more but i just cant think of them right now. Now the reason for the fasination is that i love navel history

Only Drew could have a fascination of the history about belly buttons... :rolleyes::rofl:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE