Manchester anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hi Fellas

Just started getting back into bushcraft recently, (not done it since i was a kid) Just wondering if anyone is from manchester? if so where and have you any good sites that are local for walks, camps and a spot of forraging?

Thanks Guys

Dave

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
hiya dave

just to let you know there are a few people from the manchester area (not me personally) and if you go to the meet up and social chatter section a memeber who is called simonm normally organises a meet at middlewoood camp site which isnt to far away from manchester centre around september time cheers drew

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
if your after a simple bit of foraging try just getting out around the farm fields and bridalways, there is always stuff growing in the hedges and banks. there should be some fields not to far away from most places so the cost is minimal to.....

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
im from wigan , not far.

ive heard of these middlewood meets they sound great , i think there at worsley in manchester.

i go im my local woods with a small tent , its great

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
thats similar to me TBH i am lucky enough to have a massive woodland area right in my back yard (almost litterally) I take my nipper out there most weekends, so far we,ve had hawthorne flowers for wine, elderflowers also for wine, cherries which have gone into several pies and i'm waiting for the hawtorne berries for fruit leather and blackberries for jam!! we've also found what i think is a rowan berry tree so i will hopefully getting some rowan jelly out of that one.

I want to get to know more about the mushrooms available as well as other less obvious edibles anyone got any advice or even recomend any good books on the subject?

Thanks Dave

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
get a small cheap tent and you and the nipper camp out one night , light a fire and listen to nature at work lol my two kids love it, there 5 and 9

even the wife is trying it this weekend were of to the lakes on a small campsite at keswick, were getting the boat accross derwent saturday and going up cat bells, cant wait.

S

steelyglint

Which bit of Manchester are you at ? I'm South Manchester Altrincham to be exact, right on the border with Cheshire, lot's of nice places over this side Dunham Park Tatton Park, both NT so no camping I'm afraid but there's loads of common land along the banks of the Bollin.

Middlewood is I believe actually a Scout camp, been there a couple of time with my pack nice place if a little "boggy" when it rains!

I might(only might ! ) be interested in organizing a Bushcraft meet at Dunham Scout camp which is a lovely venue, been there this evening with a Scout mate making fires and shooting rabbits

Feb 16, 2010
UK, North West
I live near Altrincham and my favourite spots are Lyme Park and Delamere Forest. Dunham and Tatton Parks are great for walks but are not deeply wooded enough for my taste.

Very interested in finding out more about Middlewood. Would also love to support an event in Dunham Scout camp too! Where abouts is it in the park?

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Which bit of Manchester are you at ? I'm South Manchester Altrincham to be exact, right on the border with Cheshire, lot's of nice places over this side Dunham Park Tatton Park, both NT so no camping I'm afraid but there's loads of common land along the banks of the Bollin.

Middlewood is I believe actually a Scout camp, been there a couple of time with my pack nice place if a little "boggy" when it rains!

I might(only might ! ) be interested in organizing a Bushcraft meet at Dunham Scout camp which is a lovely venue, been there this evening with a Scout mate making fires and shooting rabbits

I live near Altrincham and my favourite spots are Lyme Park and Delamere Forest. Dunham and Tatton Parks are great for walks but are not deeply wooded enough for my taste.

Very interested in finding out more about Middlewood. Would also love to support an event in Dunham Scout camp too! Where abouts is it in the park?

Hi Guys I'm in Haughton Green, a little village just outside Denton about 40 mins from manchester city centre on the bus lol

I also like lyme park but never been to Delamere forrest i think i will have to organise a trip there soon

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I must admit that ive stolen a few of your photo's as they remind me of camping in northumberland as a kid, we wen all over but enjoyed berwick upon tweed and bamburgh the best!!

We kept saying that we would go back and camp on holy island but never did, ah well i might have to take my nipper up there and fulfill that promise for my self

Thanks Dave

Morrolan

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2010
Chorley, Lancashire
I'm from South Manchester (Woodhouse Park, right by the airport) and there are a few nice places for a walk, but nothing really great for more than a walk. I live in Chorley in Lancashire now and even now, looking at google maps there is virtually bugger-all woodland nearby that isn't either owned by a park or so criss-crossed with dog-walking paths that there is nowhere to hide for a bit of privacy.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
That's the main issue near me, it is a massive woodland BUT so full of paths you cant go 5 mins without bumping into someone. not really conducive to wild camping lol
we should keep this thread updated with any new walks, area's for camps and such

Thanks Dave

Last edited:

groundhog

May 25, 2005
Manchester
I'm from Gorton and usually catch the Sheffield train to Edale lots of scope round there, especially over towards Ladybower etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE