Making my frist Kuksa... in the wild (kind of)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PiterM

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2009
Poland
Last two weeks I spent in the Mountains, South of Poland. So I wanted to play a bit with my tools and decided to try making Kuksa. My first one. Tools I used:
- Gransfors Bruks Mini Hatchet
- Fiskars folding saw
- Bushcraft knife (custom)
- crooked knife (Mora)
- hand drill for making initial hole enlarged than with knife

I started with piece of birchwood, which I splited in half:

DSC_8224.jpg

Than I formed the handle with hatchet & saw, and I rounded front part of my Kuksa with hatchet and knife:

DSC_8229.jpg

Than the toughest job started... working with crooked knife on hard birch:

P7201087.jpg

And after some time...

P7201089.jpg

And after even more time I had a "cup" ready, so I drilled a hole and put a leather loop through it with stag bead:

P7211191.jpg

First use (something for my daughter, who "helped" me some... and she's 4yo):

P7211219.jpg

The next day I impregnated it with vegetable oil and it was ready for using during our trips for drinking water from mountain streams, temporary berry storage (for my Mary) and for.... Jack Daniels in the evening ;)

P7251480.jpg

That was fun. And great learning program on proper use of edged tools :D

Blades

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 6, 2009
Aberdeen
aw :) Good to see. Wish I could get such big shavings with my spoon knife. Just can't get the technique right.

Also must note the passing resemblance to Lee Evans ;)

Kotteman

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2009
Östansjö Sweden
One thing that I think most people forget is that birch is a really hard wood and things made from it can be made really thin (kukas made from birch burls can be 2-3mm thick). Although some experience is needed to do that 

Boreas

Jul 3, 2009
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Hey guys, I've noticed quite a bit on this forum that folks from the UK often use the term crooked knife interchangeably with the spoon knife or hook knife.

Crooked knives are traditional woodworking tools I believe originating here in Canada. I have no idea how to post pictures, so here's a link of some good examples http://www.mooseriverhandcrafts.com/kni-crooked.htm

Spoon knives or hook knives are more of what you're used to seeing in the mora knives, With a full or near full hook to them, and a straight handle.

Rant over, I apologize if I come off as argumentative, just thought I'd clear that up.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Absolutely wonderful, my daughter is 5 and showing positive signs of really starting to enjoy the out doors. She used her opinel childs knife last weekend for the first time (supervised obviously) and she really got to grips with stripping bark of twigs etc, she was so proud, as was I.

Now ive seen your kuksa I really want to have a go at making one myself. Must get myself a Mora spoon knife and get cracking!

Great stuff, im inspired.

ATB, Jon.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
One thing that I think most people forget is that birch is a really hard wood and things made from it can be made really thin (kukas made from birch burls can be 2-3mm thick). Although some experience is needed to do that 

What would be a better wood for a beginner to start with (ie, someone like me who has never used a spoon knife before) whilst still ending up with a usful kuksa?

ATB, Jon.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Hey guys, I've noticed quite a bit on this forum that folks from the UK often use the term crooked knife interchangeably with the spoon knife or hook knife.

Crooked knives are traditional woodworking tools I believe originating here in Canada. I have no idea how to post pictures, so here's a link of some good examples http://www.mooseriverhandcrafts.com/kni-crooked.htm

Spoon knives or hook knives are more of what you're used to seeing in the mora knives, With a full or near full hook to them, and a straight handle.

Rant over, I apologize if I come off as argumentative, just thought I'd clear that up.

Well if we are going to be pedantic we really should call the knives you linked to mocotaugan's. From what I can gather many of the originals were made from cast off cut throat razors but soon Sheffield started exporting versions which were used as trade goods. This free download book is excellent. http://www.mocotauganthebook.com/

The major difference between European and North American practice is not the degree of curvature (you find more and less curved in both places) but whether you use them palm up (Canada) or palm down (Europe). There are also differences between the mocotaugan of the central and northern areas compared to the rather finer knives of the North West Coast used for carving bowls, totems, masks etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE