Making Jerky in the oven or in a dehydrator?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

How do you dry yours?

• Total voters

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I was going to post this in the Jerky thread but it has gone.

I make my jerky in the oven (electric fan) and not to blow my own trumpet I think it comes out pretty good but I know some of you uses dehydrators.

My Question is: If I am going to shell out a £150 or there abouts, why is a dehydrator better?

Dose it produce chewer jerky for instance? (I some times have to use bread to soften it if I have cut some of it a bit thin)

Christopher

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
The main argument in favour of a dehydrator is usually running cost, as they are much cheaper to operate than a full oven. I don't have any figures to back that up, mind you, but manufacturers may be able to supply them.

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
I used the low gas setting and oven door open method when I experimented a few years ago.

I found that the very high price of lean beef in the UK (fat content ruins jerky), the quantities required to get a decent stock of jerky and the cost of the dehydrator or oven in fuel and time such an all round wasteful exercise I soon went back to buying it pre-made when needed.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Ahh but a dehydrator is soo much more versatile. All that over-ripe fruit? turn it into fruit leather! soft apples? dry them! I love mine and it gets a lot of use for other than jerky, tho i make a lot of that too.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
I started to do the gas oven,door ajar method a couple of months back with some venison but like Saffy says,you gotta do a lot to really make it worth while. Mind you,it tastes better than any jerky Ive ever bought. There was a great thread somewhere on this forum about a DIY dryer.....fiol lined box and a light bulb! worth cheaking out as it would save you a shed load of money.

You're not going to believe this one but we do it in our sauna.
It works really well.

We built racks that slide over the bench so that the meat is high. The bench is covered and works as a good launching point for the meat strips up onto the racks.
when the sauna is hot then the meat goes in leaving the door open just a crack.
We do a mule deer or 1/2 a moose every year.

You would think it not hygenic. If you cover where the meat is going to drip there is no worry and the sauna smells like the beautiful aroma of well done jerky for maybe a day.

Oh ya, It's an outdoor sauna.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE