Making a SAK 'legal'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I'm trying to convert my SAK so it's legal. I've removed the lock with a hammer and screwdriver, now I just need to get the blade under 3", but i'm not sure if this means the entire blade or just the section with the bevel.

Heres a pic to try and illustrate what I mean:

p13rucksacksak6dq.jpg

Does the 3" include the section with the writing on?

Thanks.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
You could just buy a non locking smaller sak? Probably easier, not much point ruining the blade on a nice knife

My uncles a copper and he said my huntsman (I think thats the one) was fine and was a legal carry.

I think you'll be alright with a SAK in your pocket. I think context is the most important thing with knife carry!

the lock is easy enough to remove
but the blade is 3 1/8" long if you include the un sharpened bit which my copper mate would so you do need to remove 3mm of the length not particularly difficult if you have the tools and a basic skill but could be a mare if you dont
unforunatly in this climate i suspect they would do you for the extra 3mm again my mate if found and you wernt about to robb somne one etc etc would give you the choice to confixscate it and one your way or come in and face the law

its a shame as mine would be my EDC other wize Oh and remeber to remove the toothpick to be fully legal its sharply pointed and Dosnt fold :rolleyes: :D i replace mine with a BCB flint anyway

i could grind mine down but when the lock is removed it dosnt feel quite secure enough i dont cnow if they fit a weaker retaining spring than a non locker ???

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
legal????as long as the sak isnt stuffed down your sock as you enter an airport i think youll be ok

Nope - I had a knife almost identical to this one I carried through airports on a daily basis without a problem - the blade was the right length (though I thought it needed to be below 3.5 inches?), but it did lock.
Finally had it confiscated going onto the london eye by... none other than BA security. Apparently it's fine on a flight deck, but in a suspended glass bubble? Way too dangerous :rolleyes:

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
Nope - I had a knife almost identical to this one I carried through airports on a daily basis without a problem - the blade was the right length (though I thought it needed to be below 3.5 inches?), but it did lock.
Finally had it confiscated going onto the london eye by... none other than BA security. Apparently it's fine on a flight deck, but in a suspended glass bubble? Way too dangerous :rolleyes:

why would you need a sak in london

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar

I stand corrected:

Source: Criminal Justice Act, 1988. Section 139(1).

Offence: It is an offence for any person, without lawful authority or good reason, to have with him in a public place, any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except for a folding pocket-knife which has a cutting edge to its blade not exceeding 3 inches.

Powers: Arrestable offence.

So... it's the blade that needs to be below that length

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
why would you need a sak in london

I'd just landed a helicopter at Battersea, had an hour or two off while we waited for pax to arrive, I and the other pilot decided to do some sightseeing. I didn't think about the SAK, torch and whistle that stay on my keys in my pocket all the time

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'm pretty sure BA staff have no right to confiscate a pocket knife. It's not an illegal item, although you have to have a "good reason" for a locking blade or a blade over 3". The London Eye is privately owned and they have every right to make sure you comply with whatever rules they come up with and they are well within their rights to refuse you entry if you don't surrender the pocket knife. I think it should have been returned to you after your turn.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
You could just buy a non locking smaller sak? Probably easier, not much point ruining the blade on a nice knife

My uncles a copper and he said my huntsman (I think thats the one) was fine and was a legal carry.

I think you'll be alright with a SAK in your pocket. I think context is the most important thing with knife carry!

Yeah, I've bought one and the whole blade is not over 3" and it does not lock so legal.

I'd check over at British Blades but the safest system seems to be the whole blade length, not just the sharp edge length. The law was written I belive with the idea that 3" was not long enough for a heart stab.

I'm pretty sure BA staff have no right to confiscate a pocket knife. It's not an illegal item, although you have to have a "good reason" for a locking blade or a blade over 3". The London Eye is privately owned and they have every right to make sure you comply with whatever rules they come up with and they are well within their rights to refuse you entry if you don't surrender the pocket knife. I think it should have been returned to you after your turn.

Lots of people seem to have trouble at the London Eye, with legal stuff as well, as push your luck stuff. Also they seem very sure of themselves, when as far as anyone can workout they basically have the right to refuse entry. They could call the Police, but the times that has happened the Police seem unhappy to have their time wasted.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
To be quite frank Zammo,
I wouldn't bother, at the risk of ruining a perfectly good knife.
I'd keep it as it is, fearing that some overzealous official will then take the saw as the oversized blade and ruin your day anyway. Just buy a much smaller SAK for a key ring which will be as effective for your locality, and keep the larger one for the times when you have sufficient reason to use it.

Ogri the trog

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
To be quite frank Zammo,
I wouldn't bother, at the risk of ruining a perfectly good knife.
I'd keep it as it is, fearing that some overzealous official will then take the saw as the oversized blade and ruin your day anyway. Just buy a much smaller SAK for a key ring which will be as effective for your locality, and keep the larger one for the times when you have sufficient reason to use it.

Ogri the trog

You know I was thinking the exact same thing about the saw, that'd just be typical. I can still imagine even with a perfectly legal knife I'd get the third degree if they found me with one on the mobile scanners they use and tube and train stations. :rolleyes:

Still a good reason to buy one of those smart looking shiffield folders. :D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I'm trying to convert my SAK so it's legal. I've removed the lock with a hammer and screwdriver, now I just need to get the blade under 3", but i'm not sure if this means the entire blade or just the section with the bevel.

Heres a pic to try and illustrate what I mean:

Does the 3" include the section with the writing on?

Thanks.

There is probably some stupid rule that means even if you did make the knife unlock-able, because it was originally a locking knife, you are still carrying a locking knife...

We do have some weird laws...

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
How many crimes does this police state bahaviour really stop?
The good guys get even more harrassed but the bad guys still does the crimes.
It is a political quick fix. They are making locking blades illegal in Germany as well in April.
So in Schwitzerland they are making knives that you can not take across the border to Germany. A country that made a gravity knife for over 60 years that is now as illegal as walking around with an AK47. This is so frustrating. It is the same thing In Sweden, there you can carry whatever is justifiable, no rules on locking blades or blade length or so but if you go into norway they will fine you for it.

My suggestion is to put your edge tools in the right "environment" If the security guy starts pulling out tents, sleeping bags, mats, food, stoves and lots of clothes before he find a knife or so I doubt that he will send you off to jail.

What is it with the metal detectors. I guess they would beep on about everyone, or what. Like travelling isnt slow enough.?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
length is cutting edge not above 3". If you really want to grind the blade down it should be easy even if you've only got a file and absarive paper. If you have a belt sander that will do it in a few seconds but dip the tip in water after each (quick) pas so you don't burn it

length is cutting edge not above 3".

all fine untill you explain it to an officer most i spoke to just measure the whole blade of course you may get let off by the Judge but is it worth it for 3mm

so your saying technically i can leagaly carry a blade thats 2ft long with a 2 ft handle it folds into as long as only less than 3" is a cutting edge :rolleyes: (yes you could have a 2ft pocket :D )

ATB

Duncan

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
so your saying technically i can leagaly carry a blade thats 2ft long with a 2 ft handle it folds into as long as only less than 3" is a cutting edge :rolleyes: (yes you could have a 2ft pocket :D )
yes though I would think that they'd go for an offensive weapon if you took it too the extreme.
I've just checked my locking SAK and the blade is around 3 1/4" cutting edge anyway (almost 3 1/2 for the full blade)

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
What is it with the metal detectors. I guess they would beep on about everyone, or what. Like travelling isnt slow enough.?

one time I got beeped because I had two steel pins in my arm (which I had broken). we where trying to get on the ship my dad worked on at the time. the security guard seemed determined that he was going to open up my plastercast to find out what i was hideing.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Metal detectors here in Brazil are a riot. Every bank has one so I usually leave my locking Spyderco Endura in the car if I have to step into the bank. The other day I walked right through with my Leatherman Wave on my belt (I had forgotten it) they must have the sensitivity setting low enough not to stop every stray paperclip and set of keys. Mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE