Magnesium Firestarter Sticks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
If you want to go with a mag bar and ferro rod you can't go far wrong with a Doan bar. Steer clear of the Chinese knock offs, no guarantee it will work when you need it.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I just looked at the Gerber Bear Grylls one. Any good?

No. they're overpriced ( no matter what the price is)

If you want a no nonsense but pricey(ish) piece of kit, just buy either a "Firestick" from Woodlore or else a "Light My Fire" Army model.

If you don't want to pay so much, just pick an 8cm x 8mm cheapy off ebay and stick a handle on it but use a good flat scraper blade to strike your sparks. Any ferro rod will work well enough with a decent, square edged, non serrated scraper:
[video=youtube;bc2wQ9ryts0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc2wQ9ryts0[/video]

Good luck

Steve;)

Last edited:

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
I bought one of the "cheap chinese knock-offs" just to give one a go and have to say I was fairly impressed. Over to the experts though - was just a simple test.

MarkN

Jan 13, 2015
Dorset
I bought a Bear Grylls one and it was dreadful. I have since bought a Strike Force one from the Bushcraft store and its superb, the best I've ever had.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I bought some......big mistake, Very rarely use the magnesium and its still sitting there when the tiny ferro bit has ran out. Better to buy a stand alone magnesium in reserve and stick to the largest ferro you can afford imho

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
If you don't want to pay so much, just pick an 8cm x 8mm cheapy off ebay and stick a handle on it but use a good flat scraper blade to strike your sparks. Any ferro rod will work well enough with a decent, square edged, non serrated scraper:

Steve;)

I'm impressed with the scraper Steve. Pretty sure I've seen your demo video before and it seems to work really well. Is it home made?

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
If you don't want to pay so much, just pick an 8cm x 8mm cheapy off ebay and stick a handle on it but use a good flat scraper blade to strike your sparks.

Good advise!

I attach pieces of hack saw blades to mine; always a good scraper at hand:

firesteel_and_scraper.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE