Magical barking buck

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I hate early mornings but unfortunately, I have a mortgage to pay and sometimes I get given early shifts at work. I'm working this weekend so today I deliberately got up early (4:15) so that I'm acclimatised enough to be OK tomorrow.

Crept downstairs and let the dogs into the garden - they were a bit miffed when I put them back inside and went into the fields without them.

Our land (10 acres) slopes up from the house and there is a bit of a hump in it so you can't see what's the other side until you walk over it. I had assumed for a while that the reason I'd never seen any deer in the field is because the dogs always ran ahead, giving anything a good chance to run away before I came into view.

Getting out as the sun rose was glorious. Lots of bird (and frog!) song and the view through my new binoculars (Nikon ProStaff 7S 8x42) was in high definition. Saw a rabbit or two as I quietly made my way into the top field.

Nothing seen, although the calm was wondrous. I walked through the long grass and bracken up to the very highest point where on a clear day you can see the sea. From there, most of the top field (6 acres) is visible, although with the trees I've planted and the grass/weeds, there's a lot of cover. Stood there for a few moments just listening to the sounds of nature all around when I heard a commotion about 100 yards away. Quickly swung the bins round and there he was. A beautiful roe buck. I think he saw me - I wasn't making an attempt to hide and was wearing fairly bright clothing. He stood and barked for a bit before melting away into the undergrowth and over the fence.

I've lived here nearly 2 years and this is the first deer I've seen with my own eyes (although the trailcam has caught roe and fallow). Breathtaking.
icon_smile.gif

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thats sounds Nice. Idyllic even, bet its hard work though eh? Wish I had ten acres.

Planting the trees was a lot of work but now I mostly just leave them, occasionally weeding a few and straightening a few stakes that have started leaning. I'm mostly letting nature carry on - judging by the hundreds of little oaks coming up everywhere I'm guessing it will all revert to woodland eventually, which is fine by me!

The lower field has been cut for hay by a local farmer and we have a small orchard in it, which needs mowing. The major work is fencing although I have a mammoth pile of leylandii brash to deal with (burn!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE