Magic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
MAGIC

I came accross this resource recently and thought it was fantastic. I've seen no mention of it here, but it may have been covered I dunno. Anyway, you have to check this out.

OK, so what is MAGIC?

MAGIC is the first web-based interactive map to bring together information on key environmental schemes and designations in one place. MAGIC is a partnership project involving eight government organisations who have responsibilities for rural policy-making and management, and although it has been designed to meet the needs of the partner organisations, the facility is available to anyone over the Internet.

Cool.

Basically, MAGIC is an online mapping and research tool. But the best bit, it's customisable. You can create onlne maps, based on your own area of interest, ancient woodlands, ancient monuments, battlefields etc, or any number and combination.

Try it out for ancient woodlands in your area...

First go here...
http://www.magic.gov.uk/website/magic/

• Click select topic
  • Click on 'design my own topic' and select.
  • When window opens select box called 'Ancient Woodland' then click 'done' in the top right of window.
  • Click in the circle below called 'place'
  • Type in the nearest place(village or town) to your location.
  • Click open map
  • Run the cross over to your chosen area and click. This will zoom you in each time you click on the area involved.

Try the same with "scheduled monuments' to see all the ancient monuments in the area of your choice. Try it with anything you may be interested in. This is a great tool to learn more about your local area, of find places of specific interest if you are visiting somewhere new.

Enjoy. :)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Stew said:
Interesting stuff.

Some SSSIs in the area I didn't know about but there don't seem to be any battlefields near me.

I found a couple of battlefields right on me doorstep i didnt know about. One of em is a cracker, the battle of Blore Heath (it even has a blimmin website)...

battlefield001.jpg

Resolved it using satelite imagery for stunning detail...

battlefield002.jpg

Great stuff. :D

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Cool! Even though I know why it happens, I still find it amazing that the disused tracks show from the air like that.

I've found a battlefield near me now. It's the site of the Battle of Barnet and is only 10 miles away at Monken Hadley (although it seems to be in dispute as to the exact location)

The Battle of Barnet was one of the most important and eventful battles of the Wars of the Roses. It was the defining moment of a power struggle that occurred during 1469-1471, between the two men who had dominated England since 1461: King Edward IV and his cousin Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick. The fact that the battle was fought in fog made it an unusually confusing and terrifying affair, in which luck played a major part in determining the outcome.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Stew said:
Cool! Even though I know why it happens, I still find it amazing that the disused tracks show from the air like that.
[/I]

Same here. That hedge at the bottom of the battlefield site was where the Lancastrian forces amassed before attacking the Yorks. The hedge itself is documented well before the battle and estimates put it at over 1000 years old.

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Aha!!....should have thought o' this one fer you chaps......used this alot two year ago when me an' me mate were metal detectin'......kinda spoilt by google earth...but a top system none -the-less.....good find matey.....lost the link a while back after comp' crash......cheers :You_Rock_

T

Tribaljamin

Awesome site!

Now if I can just tear myself away from Google Earth for a second . . . .

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Cap'n Badger said:
Aha!!....should have thought o' this one fer you chaps......used this alot two year ago when me an' me mate were metal detectin'......kinda spoilt by google earth...but a top system none -the-less.....good find matey.....lost the link a while back after comp' crash......cheers :You_Rock_
Now, there's me trying my best to imagine Cap'n Badger with a metal detector.........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE