Magenta MkII Bat Detector

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
A few weeks ago I took the family on a badger watch, organised by the excellent Scottish Wildlife Trust. Unfortunately, the badgers didn't perform, but on the walk back there were many bats around, and the Ranger demonstrated the use of the bat detector. I was quite impressed - you can identify species by the sound frequency used, and there are both echolocation calls and social calls. The kids were fascinated.

You can buy a bat detector for about £60 upwards, but I noticed that Magenta electronics sell a kit for £38.
http://www.magenta2000.co.uk/acatalog/Bat_Detector_Mk_2.html

It's a so called heterodyne detector - (non-geeks ignore this next bit) - it mixes the incoming frequency with a oscillator frequency that is, say, 2kHz lower. The product of the mixing process is then a 2kHz audio frequency that we can hear. In fact, the circuit is essentially a simple long wave radio receiver, with a microphone instead of an antenna.

(Non-geeks may switch on again). You need to solder about 40 components on to a printed circuit board. It is very straightforward for anyone who has done any electronic construction. I think it could be assembled by anybody who is prepared to research how to identify components and solder - there are plenty of net resources here. You'd need a soldering iron (£5-£10), solder, a screwdriver, wirecutters or scissors. A multimeter (£5) is useful but definitely not essential.

Construction under way:
DSCF1849.jpg

Completed detector:
DSCF1851.jpg

Electronic engineers know tht electronic devices only work because they contain smoke. If you let any of this smoke out, the device does not work any more, so the theory must be sound. It always makes applying power to a new project interesting.

Fortunately the Magenta detector worked first time. An evening walk revealed pipistrelles clicking away at 45kHz, and some other sounds at 20kHz that might be pipistrelle social calls, but I am not sure.

An interesting project, that certainly adds interest to walking at dusk.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Good work :)

At 20khz it was most likely a Noctule Bat, did the echo sound like "chip - chop"? Maybe Leisler's too, but they are closer to 25khz.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
If you go on the alanaecology website, they have some great Cds for IDing bats. Some really cool computer programmes too.

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Is there anything specific about this detector as to the type of bat?
Does it cover the frequencies for all bats around the world?
I live in Texas in the USA and There used to be bats in the neighborhood, and this could be fun to track them down with!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The Magenta kit covers from 15kHz to 120kHz.

There is not much point going lower than 15kHz as this is the upper limit of hearing -for younger folks at least.

I don't know what frequencies American bats use but I doubt they would be over 115kHz.

The US based Crystal Set Society offer bat detector kits too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE