Made myself a cracket!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Well a stool really, but cracket sounds better so that's it's affectionate nickname. I wanted a rough and ready look and I used only three tool- scotch eyed auger, axe and a saw. No tape measure or spirit level it was all done by eye. Got the round of wood from a friend and. Made two of the legs from yew and the other from cherry. Made the holes at angles, tapered the wood to fit and then chamfered the ends and hit them in with the axe poll. I'm not going to give a furniture shop anything to worry about but I'm happy with it-'twas great fun to make and it holds my weight without having to think about it. Here are some pictures:

imagejpg1_zps956d8d1d.jpg

Image in here

imagejpg1_zps06220cb7.jpg

Thanks for looking :).

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looks solid enough :)

Make it from a thicker "round" and you get a great butchers / chopping block.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a good thing Cameron; and what a lovely word, "Cracket". Just had to look it up and spent half an hour reading about what they were............Great stuff :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That's a good thing Cameron; and what a lovely word, "Cracket". Just had to look it up and spent half an hour reading about what they were............Great stuff :)

Cheers Mac! Picked the work up from my mam, who's dad (my grandad who I'm very sad to say I never knew) made a little set and called it that so it's an quite an old word I guess and I like it too, has a nice ring to it :).

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Well done Clouston98, that looks great. One of the reasons I'm going to get a barrel-auger (eventually) is to do projects just like this. You've just given me further encouragement. May I ask, what diameter auger did you use?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Have a look on Google Cameron, there's articles and pictures of the miners using them to rest their heads on underground and using them in the cottages as stools; some interesting stories, too.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Well done Clouston98, that looks great. One of the reasons I'm going to get a barrel-auger (eventually) is to do projects just like this. You've just given me further encouragement. May I ask, what diameter auger did you use?

Cheers mate! I'd geuss at about three quarters of an inch, I'm not too sure really but it's around that definitely not more than an inch and no less than half :eek: hope that helps some :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Have a look on Google Cameron, there's articles and pictures of the miners using them to rest their heads on underground and using them in the cottages as stools; some interesting stories, too.

Just been! We've got my grandads still and it's identical! He worked as a mine engineer not a hewer but that's obviously where he picked it up from. Obviously as you know I'm from durham/ Northumberland so it's all quite fitting - very interesting stuff and some nice history to that word :).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cracking Cracket there Cam, should keep your derrière dry whilst carving it the woods. One of the good things about three legs is that its self leveling, where as four can be rocky without a level or some time. (That's why milking stools had tree legs, byre floors were often uneven so a self leveling stool made life easier.) (It also means you can use the classic joke: - "Why does a milking stool have only three legs?" - "Because the cow has the udder!") Badoom-tish... I'll get me coat.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Cracking Cracket there Cam, should keep your derrière dry whilst carving it the woods. One of the good things about three legs is that its self leveling, where as four can be rocky without a level or some time. (That's why milking stools had tree legs, byre floors were often uneven so a self leveling stool made life easier.) (It also means you can use the classic joke: - "Why does a milking stool have only three legs?" - "Because the cow has the udder!") Badoom-tish... I'll get me coat.

Haha cheers mate! It is surprisingly flat as well as stable, so I'll stick with three legs if I'm making again me thinks :) .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE