Made a Nessmuk knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I made myself a Nessmuk. Now it is rather ugly, not particularly well finished and the handle is nothing to boast about :D The blade is 2mm thick 01 tool steel. I wanted to find out how good they are and made that one rather quickly. It lives in the kitchen at the moment and its become the sharpest and most practical knife I have. I don't think I would want to do without now.

The cutting edge is 125mm long, overall 225 mm. I copied the drawing from Nessmuk's book and enlarged it. The handle would have been too small for me so I made that proportionally longer.

I have chopped wood with it and although a bit light for that could do quite a bit of work if necessary. I have even split some wood with it using a baton , its not so good for splitting because it's very thin but at a pinch it would do. For preparing food though it works very well.

The handle I made of Teak because I had some and it is such a oily wood that is does not need any protection from water etc.

It's going to get used and abused to see how well it stands up to it :D

DSCN0113.jpg

DSCN0112.jpg

What do you think?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
spamel said:
If it isn't up to your standards, you could always start again and send me that one!!:D
Well, I didn't go for any standards!! I just wanted to make it quick so i could play with and batter the thing without having to worry about scratching it :D I am going to hang on to it for a while, cos I like it as it is :D
its a very nice shape to use I must say. I have not tried to carve anything with it yet, but I think it may not be too good for that purpose.

Oetzi
As for the stick tang, no reason at all, just happened, but that would be a good idea to make an identical one apart from the stick tang to be able to compare the two. Back to the workshop...darn, must get some more steel first :(

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Lovely bit of work there :D
I made myself a Nessmuk. Now it is rather ugly, not particularly well finished and the handle is nothing to boast about
Nessmuk would be proud of you..... practical rather than pretty....

:)
Ed

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Englishrose222 said:
Hi JoJo

Did you do your own heat treatment :You_Rock_

Tracy.. :)

Hi Tracy , yes I did. I have got that Rayburn in the kitchen :D it produces plenty of heat and it's close to the back door, so I don't have to stink the house up!!! and I tempered the blade in the oven... I do these things when my wife is out of the house.... :rolleyes: I have acquired an old gas blow torch and I am going to try that, I think it would be ok on a thin blade like this one.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Nice nessie. When I made mine I used 4mm steel which was way too thick. I may have to have another try with some thinner stuff.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Nice work !
I think you've answered your own criticism of the knife when you say that it has become "the sharpest and most practical knife I have."
This fact bears out the truth that a knife does not have to be finished to a mirror shine or have a handle of some rare and exotic material to be a good tool for it's intended purpose.

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
That is a good knife! All this shiny rubbish ( which is some thing I blame Hollywood for) dose not make the knife perform any better.
I forge out lots of things including knives , I would be happy to keep that in my kit no problem.

Englishrose222

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2006
Devon
englishrose.222.tripod.com
jojo said:
Hi Tracy , yes I did. I have got that Rayburn in the kitchen :D it produces plenty of heat and it's close to the back door, so I don't have to stink the house up!!! and I tempered the blade in the oven... I do these things when my wife is out of the house.... :rolleyes: I have acquired an old gas blow torch and I am going to try that, I think it would be ok on a thin blade like this one.

Hi Guys

I tried to post this question yesterday JoJo, but i was having problems with accessing. I was wondering what fuel you used in your Rayburn, was it anthracite, coal, charcoal, and i thought the way you did your heat treatment was extremely resourceful and imaginative.

And oh, by the way, sorry, Nathan and Chrisanson, but i've just finished making a shiny knife :D so i had better not post it .. :p ;)

S

Selous

Looks excellent. Good, sensible, strong design, well-made and executed. Top marks. I too would be first in the queue if you were inclined to make them to sell.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Thanks guys & gals!! :eek: I work part time and have more time on my hands, so I'd be happy to make a few of those. Just need to get more 01 steel :D I have got the Teak, which I think is good wood for handle, as there is no need to oil it at all. Could even do different sizes!!!

I just used the coal that was in there at the time, fairly small size stuff, and plenty hot enough, just have to be careful not to overheat the steel with it.

And I like shiny knives too :p

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I was first!! Any idea on cost? I can wait obviously, I am actually in no rush. If you do make them, don't get snowed under with orders. I wouldn't like to think that you feel obligated to churn them out by the dozen.

:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE