Mackerel fishing hints and tips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mang

Settler
I've got a holiday in Brixham coming up and I'm looking to try my hand at mackerel fishing off the harbour wall. If there are any seasoned mackerel fisherman out there I'd appreciate any tips. If I'm right it's wait for high tide and reel the lure, then pull the rod up every now and then to make it look like little fish scooting past.

I've made myself some lures and put them on here if anyone wants a gander, good fun to do actually. http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/home-made-mackerel-lures-and-traps.html

I'd also be interested in what gizmo folk use to unhook non-mackerel species and put them back...I'm told that you can't return mackerel.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
You seem to have the basic's covered, with feathers you need to add a little bit of action to make them work right but it's as simple as raising and lowering your rod on the retrieve but be careful on your retreeve speed a fish will stop chasing a lure if it's moving too fast especially mackerel as they are a shoal fish and don't like moving to far from the group for food and dash back to safety of the group prity quickly.

And who ever told you you can't return mackerel has no idea you can and they are prity hardly little fellows, if you want to make unhooking easier and kinder on the fish if you end up catching something you would want to return crush the barb down a bit or crush it completely.

Last edited:

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You seem to have the basic's covered, with feathers you need to add a little bit of action to make them work right but it's as simple as raising and lowering your rod on the retrieve but be careful on your retreeve speed a fish will stop chasing a lure if it's moving too fast especially mackerel as they are a shoal fish and don't like moving to far from the group for food and dash back to safety of the group prity quickly.

And who ever told you you can't return mackerel has no idea you can and they are prity hardly little fellows, if you want to make unhooking easier and kinder on the fish if you end up catching something you would want to return crush the barb down a bit or crush it completely.

What he said on the chucking them back, if scientists can catch a load, tag them, both internally and externally and then collect the tags from commercial catches a couple of years or so later, it's pretty obvious they don't die if you touch them. Injure them severely, say from battering against sea walls, breakwaters or heavy landings on concrete etc and that will be a different story but read through the report I've linked to and you'll find that they most definitely don't die from being caught and handled, then returned.

http://www.cefas.defra.gov.uk/publications/lableaflets/lableaflet44.pdf

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I find that white feather lures work best. Depending on the rod I'm using, how choppy the sea is and how much weed or rocks I'm fishing over will determine what weight I use. If its a lightweight spinning rod or there are plenty of rocks and weed then I tend to go for a 2oz weight to keep the rig from fouling or putting too much strain on the rod. If I have a heavier rod or the sea is rough then I tend to go for a 4oz weight to sink the line quicker. Obviously light and sediment can also play a part. If you find that your not catching on one weight then swap to a slightly bigger one and go a bit deeper. If its really gloomy then it might be worth swapping lures to one of the sparkly foil types and maybe bait the hook with a strip of sand eel or bluey.

They are greedy buggers so shouldn't have too much of an issue hauling them in. Don't be too greedy though, only take what you need and if they are biting well you can be choosy about the size you take home. I tend to only take fish that are around a foot long or larger. If I catch 2 on my line the smallest always goes back. I know they are not endangered but I like to think I'm an ethical angler.

I also agree with the other posters and don't think handling the fish will hurt them but even so I do wear thin damp gloves when handling the fish. The least damage I do to the fish the happier I am, unless I'm going to eat it that is!!

Gimli

Jun 2, 2014
United Kingdom
I can only agree with the previous replies. Retrieve the lures at the same speed the small fish you are trying to imitate swim at. I've had the best success using a Dexters Wedge when fishing for mackerel (http://www.dexterproducts.co.uk/page36.html), preferably of the larger veriety which keeps the smaller mackerel away. That brings me on to the returning fish issue. There is no problem in returning fish you have caught. As mentioned already taking the barb off will make hook removal easier, but TBH I just use a large lure lure which the small fish I'd return are too small to go for anyway. I will say however the best success is due to knowing the area you're fishing in. You need to know the tides, when the fish feed, where they move and what they eat and then fish appropriately. I've used a lot of fancy gear when fishing on Skye only to be humiliated by the local guy with one rod, one lure and a bucket. Good luck, it's great fun once you get going.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Do y'all have a problem with the dolphins and sharks stealing the mackerel off you lines before you can reel them in?

Gimli

Jun 2, 2014
United Kingdom
Some great tips there guys thank you. I feel fairly confident but I'm a bit miffed as I've made two lure setups as per the misinformation about handling :p

You can buy rigs from your local fishing shop for a few pounds, though if you're using feathers and such remember to add a weight. Fishing isn't an expensive hobby when it comes to buying kit, it's the travelling and the weekend pass from the wife that costs lots of money.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Do y'all have a problem with the dolphins and sharks stealing the mackerel off you lines before you can reel them in?

Nope I have had bass chase them but never hooks one, we are not that great for sharks and alike.

Some great tips there guys thank you. I feel fairly confident but I'm a bit miffed as I've made two lure setups as per the misinformation about handling :p

No you'll be fine, they are really fun fish to catch in great numbers to boot. They can and will take any bait or lure you wish to name even people who have never fished before catch them by the bucket load from fishing boats during the summer.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
We have them jumping on the hooks here at the moment my. Nephew was pulling them from the water by hand two days ago from the slipway and pollock

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk

While fishing just off the coast of Aberdeenshire I had a dolphin take one while I was reeling in a mackerel. Was left with a head on the hook. Although seals were more of an issue,

A mate of mine was fishing off the Peterhead south breakwater and he shouted me over to give him a hand landing his catch. A codling he had caught was then taken by a huge ling. Best catch I ever saw from that spot.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Haven't fished for years but we used feathers or tin foil when I was a kid. We put about a dozen on a line and dragged in a dozen fish. We hadn't actually caught them as such. Most were hooked through the head or body. Foul hooking was the term my dad used. That was a few years ago mind, when fish actually swam in the sea. When I were a Desert Rat ya know, back int auld forties,,well..seventies. I ate so many of the things I swear I started to smell funny. Traumatising it was,,traumatising.

Don't get me started on flounder. As a kid I had a huge problem eating anything with both eyes on the same side of it's head. I'm probably not helping much. :D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nope I have had bass chase them but never hooks one, we are not that great for sharks and alike......

Had the seals pinch then on the way in, all you're left with is the head.

While fishing just off the coast of Aberdeenshire I had a dolphin take one while I was reeling in a mackerel. Was left with a head on the hook. Although seals were more of an issue,

A mate of mine was fishing off the Peterhead south breakwater and he shouted me over to give him a hand landing his catch. A codling he had caught was then taken by a huge ling. Best catch I ever saw from that spot.

Thanks guys. I hadn't thought of seals (we don't have them here in Florida) Apart from that, it sounds pretty much the same though; reeling in just the head.

Mang

Settler
Haven't fished for years but we used feathers or tin foil when I was a kid. We put about a dozen on a line and dragged in a dozen fish. We hadn't actually caught them as such. Most were hooked through the head or body. Foul hooking was the term my dad used. That was a few years ago mind, when fish actually swam in the sea. When I were a Desert Rat ya know, back int auld forties,,well..seventies. I ate so many of the things I swear I started to smell funny. Traumatising it was,,traumatising.

Don't get me started on flounder. As a kid I had a huge problem eating anything with both eyes on the same side of it's head. I'm probably not helping much. :D

Better out than in :D

I'd actually love to see a seal or dolphin steal a mackerel off my line, as long as I eventually got one!

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Hey Mang, It's nice to see you caught something and you had a little company during your session I regularly get ducks on the Mersey and the cheeky little sods have tried to nab bait and fish at times I an imagine a seal would have put quite a bend in the rod and gave you a good story to tell if you landed it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE