machete or khukri - working tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
OK folks I'm after some advise about a tool for clearing the shrub and undergrowth around the garden and field.

Scythe does the grass OK, but the ferns, nettles brambles are a bit much for it. So which tool would be most suited. Around the fruit tree by the wall is bit of a confined space so that might alter things.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
A Billhook would be good to use around there mate.

Just got mine out last night to sort out a few wild bits around the end of the garden.
It made short work of it all.. i got a bit carried away :)

253_S13.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billhook

Cheers
Carlo

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't like machetes personally. A good golok (from Valiant) or a bill hook would be my choice since I'm not skilled with a khukri

Red

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
A good bill hook is what your after Stihl do good bill hooks they are not that that expensive either.

Simon

laurens ch

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
south wales united kingdom
I think a long light machete would be the best option for clearing brambles and nettles. Billhooks and kukris are better suited to wood chopping imho they also lack the reach of a long machete so you may find yourself stopping over a fair bit which will prove uncomfortable after a while. For working around the wall a more precise tool like a pair of shears may be a better choice. Alternately perhaps a slasher would be a better option I’ve used them fairly extensively with btcv and they work pretty well

http://www.gardentoolsforallseasons.com/garden tools/slasher.php

An example of a slasher

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Slashing hooks are good too you can grt them from Axeminister

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I'm with 'laurens ch' on the long machete route. I've had to clear a couple of good sized allotments that were overgrown with nettles, brambles, monster docks etc and I find the longer the better having used a couple of different ones.

Mind you the petrol strimmer tops the lot save for the thicker stuff.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
failing all else, strimmer with a metal cutting disc. just watch out for walls, sparks gallore

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I use a martindale golok for this kind of job (and many other jobs), and I always enjoy working wih it. I never really tried any other big knives though (except if you count the nr 12 opinel, my kitchen knife :p ).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE