M.S Damascus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
Thought I would show this Damascus blade I have just cut and ground from a 5mm thick billet I bought from the USA quite a while ago it's called random pattern I have shown it over on BB so sorry to repeat
I found a bit of cold lap/cold shut in the tip and along the cutting edge so had to grind it out and thankfully the defect was only in the area I could see, so the length of the blade was reduced from 105mm to 90mm the handle is 120mm, I did do another blade that had no defects that was for a customer, I have done a very wide grind and I think I like it better in the short than before, so now I am about to handle it with Plasticised Natural Buckeye Burl, liners and mosaic pins and all that
See what you think and thanks for looking

damascus008.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice, very nice :D

I'm not quibbling, just interested.....does that high (is that the right word? ) grind not leave a kind of vulnerable tip ?
It only really came to mind because I've been shown two broken point knives this month and it kind of left me wondering. I know the knives really broke because of the way they were (ab)used, but one at least looked built in failure.

We haven't had a description of the parts of a knife on here for a while......choils and the like.....and not everyone is on BB..........

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out Mick :) Thanks for posting.

cheers,
Toddy

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
Nice, very nice :D

I'm not quibbling, just interested.....does that high (is that the right word? ) grind not leave a kind of vulnerable tip ?
It only really came to mind because I've been shown two broken point knives this month and it kind of left me wondering. I know the knives really broke because of the way they were (ab)used, but one at least looked built in failure.

We haven't had a description of the parts of a knife on here for a while......choils and the like.....and not everyone is on BB..........

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out Mick :) Thanks for posting.

cheers,
Toddy

Hello Toddy
Cheers for your comments, The high grind on this knife, wouldn't leave a weak tip because it's 5mm thick material so is still a good strong tip, the angle of the grind is not much different to say a scandi grind on a blade thats 3 or 4mm the thicker the material the higher the grind, this one I gave it a bit more not a lot to bring it up the blade more
hope that makes sense:)
Actually there is a member on BB who buys knives and puts them through a pretty good test he has had at least 6 of mine and tested them with other knives and none of mine have broke on the tip, some of the others have, it's a lot to do with the H/T, I suppose I have been at it for over 45yrs so might have learnt a bit in that time. and I still am, but heat treating is something that I take very seriously and test every blade for hardness without fail, at one time it was part of my job working in the oil industry as a Inspection Engineer
I better not go on I can get boring:eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, it's not boring, it's interesting.....and reassuring. :cool:

An awful lot of people buy a *brand* name knife because they feel that that way they are assured it's a good tool and they feel they will be getting a high quality item. Knives and their metals, components and the like are not widely understood.
Having makers like yourself take the time and trouble to not only post images but post the details of the knives helps to slowly educate all of us. It also encourages a lot of folks to take that step away from a big brand image too and find a tool that actually suits them, that they will use.

Incidentally, for those who like to quibble, I don't see this in any way breaking the no self promotion rules because I asked for more details and Mike has kindly supplied them.

I like mosaic pins, but what kind will you use to compliment that bold damascus ?

cheers,
Toddy

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
No, it's not boring, it's interesting.....and reassuring. :cool:

An awful lot of people buy a *brand* name knife because they feel that that way they are assured it's a good tool and they feel they will be getting a high quality item. Knives and their metals, components and the like are not widely understood.
Having makers like yourself take the time and trouble to not only post images but post the details of the knives helps to slowly educate all of us. It also encourages a lot of folks to take that step away from a big brand image too and find a tool that actually suits them, that they will use.

Incidentally, for those who like to quibble, I don't see this in any way breaking the no self promotion rules because I asked for more details and Mike has kindly supplied them.

I like mosaic pins, but what kind will you use to compliment that bold damascus ?

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks Toddy
Glad there are people like yourself, and what you say about different tools suiting people makes sense, not everyone is the same, I learn a lot from other people, Although I have been making knives all my working life I still get info from people that haven't been at it as long.
The pins are Stainless Copper & Brass,
I will tag a pic onto this thread when it's done to see what you think:)

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
As promised heres some pics of the finished knife the Buckeye looks better in the real but see what you think:rolleyes:

damascus022.jpg

damascus011.jpg

damascus012.jpg

damascus014.jpg

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Now there's a man who loves what he does and does what he loves! I guess you could say that one little flaw is another reason to make it flawless.
Excellent work crafter!

How would you compare working with Stabilized/Acrylic impregnated wood to g10/micarta? In your opinion does the stabilized wood hold up as well as micarta?

Thanks for the inspiration

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
Now there's a man who loves what he does and does what he loves! I guess you could say that one little flaw is another reason to make it flawless.
Excellent work crafter!

How would you compare working with Stabilized/Acrylic impregnated wood to g10/micarta? In your opinion does the stabilized wood hold up as well as micarta?

Thanks for the inspiration

Thanks E, this stuff is Plasticised, which is very good stands up to every thing don't think you would need better, but Micarta is stronger:)

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
Wow! Damascus isn't my taste but I think that looks fantastic.

Thanks Simon:) I know what you mean about not your taste, I made 100% working knives for years and when Damascus and Mosaic pins became popular I still wouldn't use them but then tried and I like them now, although I still like to make a few basic work knives with natural wood and all that, having said that this Alabama Damascus is good stuff;)

nitram55

Forager
Feb 24, 2006
Tamworth Staffs
What a fantastic knife, to my eye it has beauty whilst being fit for purpose and I love that mosaic lanyard hole, never seen one of those before.

Martin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE